[Artemisia] courts

drchelm no1home at onewest.net
Tue Mar 9 00:00:47 CST 2004

I've been trying very hard not to get sucked in this topic, with
results made obvious by this post.  ;-)  I will attempt to be brief
(quit laughing El Hermoso Dormiendo - I know where you sleep...)

If you stop and think about this, I think you would concur that the
style, length and content of any court depends on the size of the event
plus the number & character of items on the court agenda.  Also
consider that there are multiple functions that need to be fulfilled by
every court .  These functions exert a first-order control on how a
court should be constructed.  They are: court as the public venue for
the business ( laws, awards, announcements, etc) of their majesties and
their majesties' fief holders (ie, territorial barons and baronesses);
court as the means by which individual members of the populace are
honored for their achievements (awards, contest results, general public
thanks, etc); court as a public news source (announcements, awards,
contest results, etc), court as "rite" (awards, coronations, elevation
to peerage, etc) and court as theatre (all the aforementioned court
items).  These functions are also aimed at different audiences, i.e.
royalty and baronage, individuals, event attendees as a whole, the
populace of the kingdom, etc. Good courts balance all these functions.

For example, "theatre" dictates the order of court business, the pacing
of court business, the types of items to be included in court, and the
length of time on a per item basis (in general, shorter is better,
excluding "rite" ceremonies which shouldn't be curtailed (within
reason)).  "News service" affects the number and nature of
announcements.  The business of royalty and territorial fief holders
should be self-explanatory.  Awards (number, type) usually dominate and
dictate the order and pacing of court items.  Presentation of awards
should be paced and spread evenly in the court agenda, should use
soundly-built ceremonies, should refrain from modern language and
concepts, etc., etc., etc...  There are any number of specific
procedures one might change in Artemisian courts, most of which would
take lots of space just to discuss so I'll skip them for now.

ttfn
Therasia, old used court herald