[Artemisia] courts

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Tue Mar 9 11:55:21 CST 2004

To add to the comments of everyone and no one in particular. IMHO, if one
does not like the length of court and topics of presentation during
court, then one can get up and leave... no lock down there. Court is fun
for those who enjoy it.
Yasmeena who will have her day in court this weekend. grins

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:00:47 -0700 drchelm <no1home at onewest.net> writes:

> I've been trying very hard not to get sucked in this topic, with
> results made obvious by this post.  ;-)  I will attempt to be brief
> (quit laughing El Hermoso Dormiendo - I know where you sleep...)
>
> If you stop and think about this, I think you would concur that the
> style, length and content of any court depends on the size of the
> event
> plus the number & character of items on the court agenda.  Also
> consider that there are multiple functions that need to be fulfilled
> by
> every court .  These functions exert a first-order control on how a
> court should be constructed.  They are: court as the public venue
> for
> the business ( laws, awards, announcements, etc) of their majesties
> and
> their majesties' fief holders (ie, territorial barons and
> baronesses);
> court as the means by which individual members of the populace are
> honored for their achievements (awards, contest results, general
> public
> thanks, etc); court as a public news source (announcements, awards,
> contest results, etc), court as "rite" (awards, coronations,
> elevation
> to peerage, etc) and court as theatre (all the aforementioned court
> items).  These functions are also aimed at different audiences, i.e.
>
> royalty and baronage, individuals, event attendees as a whole, the
> populace of the kingdom, etc. Good courts balance all these
> functions.
>
> For example, "theatre" dictates the order of court business, the
> pacing
> of court business, the types of items to be included in court, and
> the
> length of time on a per item basis (in general, shorter is better,
> excluding "rite" ceremonies which shouldn't be curtailed (within
> reason)).  "News service" affects the number and nature of
> announcements.  The business of royalty and territorial fief holders
>
> should be self-explanatory.  Awards (number, type) usually dominate
> and
> dictate the order and pacing of court items.  Presentation of awards
>
> should be paced and spread evenly in the court agenda, should use
> soundly-built ceremonies, should refrain from modern language and
> concepts, etc., etc., etc...  There are any number of specific
> procedures one might change in Artemisian courts, most of which
> would
> take lots of space just to discuss so I'll skip them for now.
>
> ttfn
> Therasia, old used court herald

Mu'allemah (Mistress) Yasmeena bint al Ahlam, OP, Cd'O
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Companion to the Company of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html
An Interkingdom Mounted Military Company