[Artemisia] SCA Court is NOT period (medium)

ray congdon rayctc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 15:07:40 CST 2004

Wow.   That is such a cool bit of info.  When I recieved my AoA, it was outside in the open air, Their Majasties and company appeared on the top of the hill and the Herald opened Court as they assended.  It was close to how you discribe it in your missive.  I have to say that at first a was a little confused, but in retrospect that felt very period.   I agree with how you lable the actual gatherings of the populous at the feet of their Majesties and would also like to see the more period version of "court" in the future.  I hope this will spread and that more people will be open to diversity in the pagentry.  Lord knows that good ideas are what we're all about, and this is a good idea.

"Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer)" <damethaya at yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Cousins,

Kindly read all of what I have written here, as I would welcome discussion. I had also been staying off of this topic, but here I go as this has really been bothering me for some time now …… Court as currently practiced in the SCA is NOT period.

Court is anywhere the Crown or Coronet depending on the venue (Kingdom event vs. local event) happens to be. When the Crown or Coronet is there, that is Court. The SCA tradition of having folks gather in rows as an audience is not any sort of historically accurate form of court. What it really should be referred to would be "public audiences" wherein the Crown holds "Audience" with various petitioners, awards or presentations being made. Historically, mostly only the Crown or Coronet would be seated, with the courtiers ranged about the edges of the hall with the middle area left open forming a courtyard. (Which is where the term comes from). Sometimes ranking Courtiers would be seated, but usually with their backs to the walls which would often place them sideways to the Thrones, unless they were seated at the foot of the hall.

As to presentation of gifts, this is historically accurate, but not with every little separate item in the basket being taken out and shown off one by one. If it is for the Crown, then simply present it to the Crown and withdraw; otherwise it is not for the Crown simply an opportunity to get attention for yourself by making it in the form of a presentation to the Crown to have a captive audience (pun intended).

I would really like to see our King & Queen hold morning or afternoon “Audiences” with no opening or closing or recessing needed by the Heralds. The Herald would simply begin with “Pray heed the words of their Majesties” or begin with the first order of business, whatever that happens to be. Then, once the business was done for that session, the Herald would say, “this audience is concluded, you have their Majesties leave to depart.” (No having to remember if you are ending or re-opening or opening or recessing). The King & Queen would then take part in the event and goings on and could give out awards, make presentations, or have things presented unto them through out the day (not just at formal audiences with "everyone" watching) which would add to the overall historical authenticity, which is what the SCA is about after all. I would like to see many many more awards presented on the battlefield, at a Laurel’s prize tourney, during a feast for a particularly wonderful meal,
after a stirring musical performance, while someone in a nice costume happens by, during an A&S tournament, etc. Then at evening “Audience” more formality could occur. (To have a good mix of the SCA traditions with more historical methods, all evening “audiences” could be called “Grand Court.”)

Court should not just be sitting and watching with rows of chairs and the populace assembled as in an auditorium. It should have the populace ranged about the borders in a rows forming a square with a “courtyard” in the center. (Which could be a little smaller at larger events). Then there should be a dance or two, a presentation, a song, a few awards given, another dance or two, anther few awards or back scroll, a jugglers, another award, a dance, an annocement, a poem read, a dance, a proclomation made, an award given, etc. Court was not just a bunch of announcements and then everyone was excused. It was an evening long event in and of itself, filled with celebrations and entertainments to the edification of the King & Queen; at which their courtiers and retainers would enjoy the pleasure of the activities and the honor of being with the Crown. It was where the Crown was and a wonderful honor to be able to be a part of, with all sorts of activities, spectacles, and goings on
happening at.

As to Autocrats making announcements during morning “Audiences” I personally always have mine in large easy to read signs at the Troll table, and insist everyone read them entirely before they are allowed into or onto site. Only a very small percentage of those who will attend the day are ever assembled for morning Court, thus the majority of folks never hear the important information announced. My way ensures that a greater majority of folks are made aware of the information. Also, as to public thank yous, when bunches are made at the end of the day when everyone is tired, they do not do what they are intended to do. The person being thanked, particularly if there are more then three, is aware that this is dragging out court and feels far more embarrassed then thanked. Yes they should not, but we all know that is what actually happens. When I Autocrat, I prefer to give one general Thank You and then put it in writing and submit it to my local Newsletter with full names and
details. This puts their names in front of everyone, and keeps it in the more permanent records as the newsletter issues become part of the achieves. It is far more lasting then simply saying thank you to so and so which has their names quickly forgotten once the next order of business at Court occurs. (If you don’t agree, ask anyone 30 minutes after court has ended who the Autocrat thanked vs who was given an award). Putting it in writing also allows me to ensure that I remember everyone, as I can take my time and re-check my list. I then give a special private (out of my own pocket) token of thanks to those who have been of particular help to me as Autocrat and send a hand written thank you note (which is a really nice touch and a very historically accurate thing to do). If someone has done considerable work in particular, I send a letter proclaiming such about them to the Crown or Coronet. (Our Royalty are always asking for award suggestion letters after all, why not have
your thank you be more then just a passing announcement?)

Shalom,

Dame Rachel

SCA: Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!
“I know that God only gives me as much as I can handle,
I simply never knew He thought so highly of my abilities.”
- Mother Theresa