[Artemisia] SCA Court is NOT period (medium)

Kay Moore arrowyn at msn.com
Thu Mar 11 07:35:36 CST 2004

>If we had principalities and more baronies it would be very nice to see the
>lessor awards handed out in lower courts.  I could be wrong but I think
>there are a couple of kingdoms that permit princes to award an AoA without
>permission of the crown.

You are absolutely correct.   A Baron(ess) may give out AoA with the prior
approval of the Crown as well.   I agree that more AoAs should be given this
way at this point in Artemisia.   It would bring more people to local events
as well - and in Artemisia, this is something that very definitely needs to
be considered.

>With the requirements for recieving peerages being more difficult for
>different disciplines than others, I ENJOY seeing individuals being awarded
>with lesser honors.  If all things were equal you could cut down length of
>court by moving lesser awards to lesser courts.  I don't see that happening
>anytime soon so my preference would be to endure a longer court.

Yup - long courts suck - for many reasons.   If those reasons are not
addressed, people begin to have negative feelings about Court, and, as we
have begun to see, don't attend.   The ONLY reason *I* go to Court is to see
my friends get the recognitions they deserve.   Warms the little cockles of
my heart!    I absolutely HATE it when you get someone coming into Court 'on
business' and then they stand up there addressing only either the K & Q, or
the Ruling Noble up there, or the visiting Royalty, and there's this long
private conversation where nobody in the populace has a CLUE as to what's
going on, there's laughing with this person and the Thrones, and all this
inside stuff - and we all have to sit thru this for like 5-10 minutes.
Then here comes ANOTHER guy wantin' to do the same
thing...............aaarrrrggghhh!    This is where the Herald would come
in.

sorry.  Didn't mean to rant....   We DO need some new directions in Court -
but people have to speak out, people need to contribute ideas (which you all
are doing) and this info, these suggestions, need to get to Them What Count.
  (in Court matters)

Keep up this vein!  Let's hear other ideas!!!

Dutch