[Artemisia] Re: SCA Court - sitting in state

Julia H. West julia.west at sff.net
Fri Mar 12 00:22:49 CST 2004

Cyfarchion, good gentles,

> It used to be (and this may be just an Atenveldt law that didn't carry
> over) that for awards to be 'official' (I think) they were listed in the
> Kingdom newsletter.
>
> It was always neat to see the list of folks that had been recognized the
> previous month (or more if there was a backlog at the Heralds' office).
> If not every month, then at least at the end of each reign.

As I've been going through old newsletters to get stuff for the Ancient History
of Loch Salann website (http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/sca/lshist.htm) I've
become more and more grateful that we did event reports shortly after things
happened.  I hate to admit it, but I'd totally forgotten at what event I got my
Peerage!  (I do remember being THE court herald, very busy, and told that
"someone else will handle this section of court." I was so busy I just accepted
it gratefully, and so was sitting back wiping my brow and breathing deeply when
called before Their Majesties.)  But the event report brought it all back
(besides the behind-the-scenes stuff I remembered).  Reading these reports, with
not only lists of who got what award and who presented what gift, but also some
of the fun things going on, made me aware that I could probably do some of these
reports for our current newsletters. . . .  I always take notes at courts (it
comes from being a herald from the first), and so I usually have the basis for
that part if I don't get it from the court herald, but it's all the other fun
stuff happening at an event that should also be chronicled.

Anybody else want to help?

Meistres Rhonwen y Llysieuyddes

P.S.  I =really= like having the new folk called before the court and
recognized.  We've brought several of my daughters' friends to events, and made
sure they got up there and received their recognition.  At least two of them
want to come again, and I think the recognition they received was part of that.