[Artemisia] Heckling from the peanut gallery

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 08:37:32 CST 2004

tangl <tangl at myway.com> wrote: Hello y'all! Constance has made a comment regarding what is effectively heckling, and, as a consistant court heckler, I thought I'd step up to the woodshed and take my licks. I personally can vouch that I don't heckle because I am trying to offend or belittle people and their achievements during court. I do it because, here in Artemisia, we are laid back enough to allow laughter in our courts.
<snip>

Dearest Cousins,

I agree that humor in Court is a good thing.  I agree that Their Majesties covering up a pregnant pause with pleasantry or adding some humor filled lines to an award presentation is wonderful.  (Such as “let none have the unmitigated gall to dispute our right to….”).  I also see nothing wrong with someone adding humor to his or her presentation at Court.  However, heckling from the peanut gallery when it is interrupting the proceedings and particularly when it is off colored, detracts from the historical flavor we are trying to achieve in the SCA.  Absolutely allow humor to be used to make a point or add to your announcement or presentation.  Absolutely have training for our court Heralds so that they will better know they can turn to the populace to announce what is going on up front, and to do so with a smile or fun filled abbreviated clever turn of phrase, while they annouce what is happening semi-privately up front so that all may enjoy.  I really liked Baroness Pasha’s challenge
 for the Bard of Artemisia at Coronation.  That is humor which is still respectful of the formality of court.  Callings out of turn is not.  When someone is going to particular trouble to present something more formally and someone else calls out loud a correction or mundane innuendo, it really distracts from the ambience.  The formality of SCA state occasions are an aspect of the SCA which many enjoy.  What many like about the SCA is the opportunity to have both the formal and informal occasions for re-creation opportunities.  One can have formality without stiffness, one can have elegance without the need to become crude, formality does not mean uptight or humorless; it does mean respectful common courtesy given to the individual who has the floor to proceed in his or her choice of style.

Shalom,

Dame Rachel

tangl <tangl at myway.com> wrote: Hello y'all! Constance has made a comment regarding what is effectively heckling, and, as a consistant court heckler, I thought I'd step up to the woodshed and take my licks. I personally can vouch that I don't heckle because I am trying to offend or belittle people and their achievements during court. I do it because, here in Artemisia, we are laid back enough to allow laughter in our courts.
<snip>

SCA:  Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!