[Artemisia] Re: Heraldic Qustions

drchelm no1home at onewest.net
Fri Mar 19 11:50:12 CST 2004

there is no heraldic sumptuary to prevents a herald from wearing a
green-with-crossed-trumpets cloak while on duty as a herald in
Artemisia, to the best of my knowledge.

Period practice is good too, Jehane (and company).  Period practice is
a tabard with the arms of the noble or royalty you're working for with
that noble's or royal's arms on it, on all four tabs.  In some
kingdoms, they make non-titled persuivants rotate that tabard 90
degrees so the short tabs are to the front - an actual period practice
in the late Gothic - but personally I find the practice too
exclusionary for my tastes, and I doubt that any Artemisian would ever
stoop to be that un-mellow.

So if you were heralding personally for the baron and/or baroness of M
I's, you would look tres spiff and the height of heraldic fashion in a
tabard with the baronial peacock arms on all four tabs.  (I have a ton
of documentation on heraldic display in the house, Jehane, if you want
to eyeball some period examples of herald-wear).

ttfn
Therasia