[Artemisia] Re: Heraldic Question (a response)

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Sat Mar 20 12:09:44 CST 2004

Greetings!

>From Master Da'ud ibn Auda, former Laurel King of Arms (twice):

Excerpt begins:
The crown of the Laurel Sovereign of Arms does _not_ date back to the days
when there was only the West Kingdom.  It first appeared as a gift from the
Outlands College of Heralds to the Laurel Queen of Arms, Alisoun MacCoul of
Elphane, at the Known World Heraldic Symposium in June 1990.

It is not "brass"; it is silver which has been gold plated.

It is based on the design of the crowns of the English and Scottish Kings of
Arms.  More information on that aspect of it, and links to drawings of the
English and Scottish KoA crowns can be found on the website of its maker at:

       http://www.signetring.com/Coronet/coronet.htm

The "official", SCA, Inc., non-medieval title of the Laurel King/Queen of
Arms is "Director of Heraldic Research".  (And that's what I put on my
resume when I'm applying for non-SCA jobs when I think my experience in that
position is applicable to the position I am applying for.)

The use of the SCA badge of the heralds office on a tabard is an SCA
neo-medievalism.  Heralds in period, as has been well-established by a
number of non-SCA authors (von Volborth, among others) wore the arms of the
noble for whom they were working at the time.  Free-lance heralds often wore
a cape or tabard with the arms of those nobles for whom they had worked,
sort of an "heraldic resume".

The investiture ceremony at Pennsic of the new Laurel King of Arms was based
on a late period heralds investiture ceremony.  It's period.  Those who this
person says "wanted to leave" but were too polite to need to become more
educated about and less offended by such things.

The wearing of the Laurel crown (and, for that matter, the tabard with the
arms of the Society, but not the heralds badge anywhere on it) was approved
in 1990-91 by the Board of Directors (and by the one person, a former Queen
of the Middle, who felt strongly enough about it to actually write a letter
concerning it) for use by the Laurel Sovereign of Arms at such events as
Known World Heraldic Symposia and when performing ceremonial duties (such
as, for example, heralding the Great Court at the 25th Year Celebration, or,
say, investing a new Laurel King of Arms).
End Excerpt.

Needless to say (but I will say it anyway), I will be following the Board of
Directors guidelines as well as period practice in this and all other things
heraldic to the best of my ability.

Shauna of Carrick Point
Laurel Designate