[Artemisia] Awards "official" Clarification (medium)

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 08:14:04 CST 2004

Greetings Cousins,

Perhaps this has already been clarified, as I do not do the Digest form and may have seen some of the posts out of order or missed some….  Any hoo – to clarify to those who may have some mis-understandings about “official” awards.

“Official” awards as to if they are officially recognized by the SCA and the other Kingdoms of the Known World as belong to their Kingdom of residence and therefore reserved for the exclusive use of their respective Kingdoms, means those awards which have an award name and token and/or symbol of recognition that has been registered AND passed by the SCA College of Heralds.

“Officially” awarded awards mean those presented by REIGNING royalty, or with the permission and on specific behalf of reigning royalty at an official SCA event.  For and SCA event to be official, meaning to fall within the blanket SCA insurance rider and have all business conducted there at that event to be considered as fully meeting the rules of SCA Corpora, the event must be announced in publication a minimum of twice in the Kingdom newsletter.

"Offical" Kingdom awards are those recognised by Kingdom Law including those which confer title and thoes which may not.  Included in Kingdom Law are provisions for Territorial Barons and/or Baronesses to present Baronial Level awards.  Also included are provisions for Prince and Princess to present Principality level awards, although there are not currently any pricipalities within Artemisia.

Titled bearing awards are those which convey a title AND feudal rank within the feudal structure of the SCA.  These are SCA wide recognised titles.  They are presented by a King and Queen , or other reigning royalty by permission of the reigning King and Queen of a particular Kingdom.  However, once presented, they are still held and recognized throughout the Known World in all of the Kingdoms of the SCA.  These include but are not limited to: Award of Arms, Order of the Pelican, Grant of Arms (Lordship and/or Ladyship), Knight of the SCA, Count, Dutchess, etc., in essance “awarded” honors which bestow a permanent ranking title, which includes Peer of the SCA.  Local Championship holders have a title that does not convey any SCA feudal rank in and of itself.  You will always have that distinction of having achieved that Championship, but it is one that will then be turned over to someone else the next time and does not confer any fuedal rank.  The only exception to royal title
 confering feudal rank is that of Court Baron and/or Court Baroness.  While this is a title that, once presented, is recognized SCA wide, they hold NO feudal ranking within the SCA; unless they hold an additional feudal ranking title aside from Court Baron and/or Court Baroness.  The Court Baron and/or Court Baroness title in and of itself is honorary only.  This is an honorary title that allows the bearer to wear a Baronial style of coronet upon their head in exemption to the regular governing rules of Kingdom sumptuary; whereby normally only those who are currently or have previously reigned as Landed Royalty have the privilege to wear decorative coronet styled Crowns.  (Although only that worn by the Reigning King and Queen is actually referred to as a Crown, all others are known as Coronets).

Awards of merit and recognition, which do not hold feudal precedence, still hold precedence ranking within the own respective Kingdoms.  A holder of an Award of Arms who has also been recognized with a Golden Maple Leaf of Artemisia will hold a higher feudal precedence, within Artemisia, then a citizen who has an Award of Arms but no other Kingdom level award.  Upon moving to another Kingdom, your status as a holder of the Artemisia Golden Maple Leaf (Artemisia’s Kingdom level Arts and Sciences achievement award) does not automatically grant you equal status in the Kingdom of the West (for example) with their members of the Golden Rose Leaf (West Kingdom’s Kingdom level Arts and Sciences achievement award).  Although most of the other SCA Kingdoms will, as a courtesy, acknowlege your achievemnt at the Kingdom level of another Kingdom, you are not automattically entered into their equivolent award of acheivment rolls. Whereas holding of an Award of Arms (or other feudal ranking
 titles) does automatically grant you equal status with those of the other Kingdoms and admit you on their rolls, once all residency requirments have been met.

As to Territorial Barons and/or Baronesses presenting Award of Arms, on behalf of the Reigning King and Queen, that is already allowed by Artemisia Kingdom Law.  (and I believe may even be part of SCA Corpora).  I am not certain why more of our Kings and Queens do not encourage their landed Baronial Excellencies to present these titled feudal ranking awards on their behalf more often, except that perhaps Their Majesties prefer to have the well deserving recipient publicly recognized by Their Own hands.  Hope this is now as clear as mud.  This is based on my own understanding under the training of "Scuffy" (in requium).  Any Kingdom Heralds who note anything I have said amiss, kindly step forward.

Shalom,

Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP

Deputy Herald, Barony of Arn Hold

SCA:  Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!