[Artemisia] Uprising fees and NMS

Morgan Wolf morganwolf at sofast.net
Fri Mar 26 06:18:48 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett S Bowen" <sheiksadiq at juno.com>
To: <artemisia at lists.gallowglass.org>
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 1:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Artemisia] Uprising fees and NMS

> Okay, I have to put my foot in it now.

EL SNIPO

> Unless you would like to subsidize a sustaining membership for me, which
> I will not use more than once or twice, then please do not refer to my
> decision not to be a paying member as "untenable."  My reasons, based on
> my personal and financial situation, are VERY tenable...I can defend them
> quite handily, as can, I am sure, everybody else who does not have a
> current membership yet continues to play SCA in some fashion.

I have to say it- this may be true for some/many of those who play but don't
have memberships, but *speaking as one of the many who don't have a
membership*, in many cases it's just laziness or bad prioritizing.  I, and
more than a few non-members I have known, *can* afford the membership, we
just haven't bothered to renew, or keep spending the $35.00 on other stuff,
like pizza and beer.  My point is that while there are a few people who can
honestly say that every dollar goes to something of higher priority in their
life like food and rent, many if not most of the older non-members just
aren't prioritizing paying their membership over other luxuries.  Their/our
perogative, but doing so is like not voting- it nullifies their/our right to
complain about having to pay the NMS.

AS for the $2.00 increase, I understand the logic of doing so for a 4 day
event, but I still don't like it.  Guess I'll just have to skip the pizza
next week.