[Artemisia] Membership tallying

tangl tangl at myway.com
Fri Mar 26 10:06:24 CST 2004

Unto the Board of Directors, and all who come by these presents,
I want to offer my opinions as a member of the Kingdom of Artemisia. My name is Maitresse Tanglwyst de Holloway, but you can call me Tangl.
I subscribe to the belief that *all* memberships should count towards a groups membership. Currently, every one of the adults in my home have sustaining memberships, something which is not too much of a strain for us, right now. However, we also have two young children, who are surprisingly active for a 6 and an 8 year old. It will not be long at all before they are doing for this kingdom. They currently attend local dance practices with me on Fridays and they know about half the dances we do.
This is the sort of thing we, as a Society, would do best to encourage. I am one month older than the SCA and my oldest daughter is a strong player in the Salt Lake City area. She, like my other children, has had the SCA be a part of her life for its entirety, and the more people we have rasing families in the SCA, the better we will be. Making this Society and its tenets a part of our soul's DNA, which is passed on to our children, allows for a better world as well as a better-attended game.
In the SCA, we learn to respect other people. We are exposed to other subcultures and lifestyles, gaining personal knowledge for dealing with such situations in the everyday world. More importantly, we study and research other countries and cultures, so we do not criticize those nations when we read about them in the papers. We are less likely to fall prey to predjudice and hatred, and, as such, we are better parents and better people. This is a place I wish to raise my children, with these ideals and beliefs. I want them to have that tolerance, that education, that love of reading and exploring other worlds and cultures.
Making every membership count is the way to encourage that. If a new family arrives on the scene and the mother has a killer drive to take over the now-vacant Chronicler's position, I want her to be able to be an officer by buying that family membership. I want her to count, no matter how many newsletters she gets.
At your service,
Tangl
OP, GoA,GPA, CML, AoA
Golden Wing Herald for the Kingdom of Artemisia