[Artemisia] Membership Perks - was Cost of Uprising

Dame Rachel (Thaya Shaeffer) damethaya at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 07:53:56 CST 2004

Dearest Cousins,

WAIT, hold the phone, step back a minute.  We are not penalizing anyone.  There is some mis-information and mis-communication going on in these threads.  Lets be clear here and remeber that sometimes the terms we use can steer our thinking into an inaccurate direction.

You come to a few events, you borrow loaner garb so that you have reasonable clothes, and you try the SCA.  OK you like it.  If you have the time and financial means in your life and your family buget to support a recreational hobby, you can decide to become a member.   Becoming a member gets you a DISCOUNT on the cost of event attendance.  Becoming a member allows you the PRIVALAGES of holding an office, fighting in tournaments (provided you are authorized), receiving Kingdom or Baronial level awards.  (Yes SCA corpora states that membership is required, and yes it is easily checked by merely having someone glace at the Troll records for the events, and yes it is not always enforced), participating in Baronial pollings, and voteing on Corporate issues.  Being a member GAINS you a subscription to your Kingdom Newsletter, so that you may stay in touch and stay connected.  When I shop at the Boise Co-Op, I pay full price for their merchandise while members receive a 10% discount.  I am
 not being penalized, they are receiving membership privileges.  When I attend a Library book sale, I pay the discounted prices offered, members receive additional discounts.  I am not being penalized, they are receiving membership benefits.  When I choose to swim at the YWCA I pay a set day use rate, members have unlimited use.  I am not being penalized, they are receiving membership benefits.

                 If the SCA is not something you want to do all the time, or even more then twice a year, if you are not currently at a place in your life which allows you the time and finances needed for lots of recreational activities, it you are not interested in holding office, fighting in tournaments, participating in Baronial polling, or receiving your Kingdom newsletter, then you can still avail yourself of participation in the SCA, (while you decide about making a membership commitment or not) by paying the full non-member price.  Just like that once in awhile use of the YWCA.  If the SCA is something for you, if you are in a place in your life where you want to and intend to participate more fully, then it is time to be a paid member, and there by receive membership privileges.

                   Just a little clarification on the way we are thinking here, remembering that this is a public list where on many are lurking who are new, or non-members, or ever first time viewers.  Frankly I think the SCA at large has done a terrible dis-service to our public reputation by calling it a non-member surcharge.  This indeeds have the tendency to convey that it is a penalization for non-membership when that is not in fact the case at all.  Frankly I think our events annoucements should be Site fee $10.00 member discount $3.00 to be more accurate and provider more welcoming verbage.  Just my own opinion as a 25 plus year Sustaining member of the SCA.  These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect any group or individual on this list or otherwise associated with the SCA.

               Shalom, Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP

               Barony of Arn Hold, Kingdom of Artemisia

"Chuck Heisler Jr." <conradvz at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Morgan, my not so old but still dear friend,

Well, you have to trust people a little. In answer to your question. I know you're not a newbie and so do most people.

I also am a big fan of letting a person into their first event free, even if it happens to be Uprising. As I pointed out, I don't think charging someone five bucks extra for their first event is reasonable, but charging YOU (who should have a dang membership) the extra five bucks is more than reasonable. Not to pick on you alone. I do mean any player who has played a little and should be able to get a membership. Some people can't get a membership, I guess, and in those cases, they are penalized. But as I said, my sympathy is thin for most.

So, you just have to know who's coming and trust people when they say its their first event. But that second event, they'd better be working on their membership.

Right?

C.

SCA:  Dame Rachel Ravenlock, OP
Legal: Mrs. Thaya G. Shaeffer
Kingdom of Artemisia, Barony of Arn Hold
(208) 322-3444 before 9:00pm MST please!
“I know that God only gives me as much as I can handle,
I simply never knew He thought so highly of my abilities.”
- Mother Theresa