[Artemisia] Fabric question

Mia aravis at softcom.net
Sat Mar 27 18:33:33 CST 2004

We have a fabric store here in Loch Salann that has awesome fabrics at
great prices, but almost never has any washing instructions or fabric
content.  I almost always put a chunk of it through the whole cycle of
washing and drying before I do the whole piece.  I always put the fabric
through the dryer before I sew it, but hang everything to dry after it's
garb. I also wash any fabric in at least one step hotter water in my
washer than I will after it's clothing.  I'm paranoid, so I wash
everything in cold after it's clothing, but wash it in hot before.  That
way, you get as much shrinking as is possible done before it's
clothing.  If you're working with 100% cotton or linen (or even mostly
cotton or linen), I would wash it 2-3 times in hot water before sewing
it.  I have a linen dress that shrunk about 2 inches after being washed
at least 3 times before.

I always err on the side of caution, I'd rather it took 2 days to dry my
dress (and some of the heavier, lined pieces can take that long in the
middle of winter) than have it shrink and be ruined.  Just make sure you
leave enough time for it to be dried, because wearing 2-3 layers of
slightly damp clothing is really uncomfortable on a cold day. :-)

I tried that hope and pray the wearer doesn't sweat too much thing for
my dress this Solstice.  I was clearing head table after feast and
managed to spill this nifty little chocolate fondue holder full of hot
melted chocolate down one entire side of the dress.  So, I don't
recommend that method of fabric care.  :-)   However, the dress is doing
fine, and after some intensive group therapy, can be worn again. ;-)

Lady Mia