[Artemisia] Marquis question

Eric & Mary Ward ecward at southwind.net
Sun Mar 28 09:02:53 CST 2004

Marquis, n. A nobleman in England, France, and Germany, ranking below
a duke and above an earl or a count.
Marquess n. Variant of marquis.
Marquise, n. The wife of a marquis; a
marchioness.
Originally, the Marquis was an officer that guarded the frontiers (or
'marches') of the kingdom.

In the SCA, a count is a title bestowed upon someone who has reigned
over a kingdom once.  A duke is someone who has reigned twice or
more.  Earl, from what I understand, is not used in the SCA.

If the title of Marquis were to be used, it would be used by someone
who ranks above a count & below a duke.  In the SCA, there is no
title used between a count & a duke, therefore there is no title that
is an equivalent to Marquis.

Hope this answers your question, but, I am NOT an expert in this subject.

Dub Essa