[Artemisia] Marquis question

drchelm no1home at onewest.net
Sun Mar 28 12:20:53 CST 2004

> Re: [Artemisia] Marquis question

There are no Marquis.  Many years ago, some folks in one of the
kindgoms out east proposed marquis/marquess for people who had reigned
more than once as terretorial princes/princesses.  It went pretty much
splat when it hit the BoD, I forget why (though I wouldn't be surprised
if it was a simple case of not wanting to change lightbulbs...)

> In the SCA, a count is a title bestowed upon someone who has reigneded
> over a kingdom once.  A duke is someone who has reigned twice or more.
> Earl, from what I understand, is not used in the SCA.

There are earls, just not many around locally.  An earl is really the
same as a count; the REAL difference between the two is language, the
former having Anglo/Germanic roots ("eorl," "yaerl") and the former
having Latin/French roots ("comte," "comes")
ttfn
Therasia