[Artemisia] Re: Marquis question

leishman10 at juno.com leishman10 at juno.com
Tue Mar 30 07:14:03 CST 2004

The following is taken directly out of the document:  Forward into the
Past located on the Artemisia web page:

Count or Countess: They have served once as King or Queen. Call them
"Your Excellency." Some alternate titles are Earl (Jarl, Iarll) and Graf.

We used this entire document at our recent  Defenders Tourney to teach
the youth how to address nobility.  Very useful study for everyone ;0)

In Service
Bethoc

Re:
Actually, I *have* seen "earl" used as a title in the SCA.  Seems to
 be  used as an alternative to "Count."
 --maire

> Eric & Mary Ward wrote:
 <snipped>
 In the SCA, a count is a title bestowed upon someone who has
 reigned  over a kingdom once.  A duke is someone who has reigned twice
or
 more.
 Earl, from what I understand, is not used in the SCA.