[Artemisia] Stefan's files for May

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Tue May 4 07:45:31 CDT 2004

Greetings to the folks of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for May, detailing what is new
in the Florilegium this month.

I have also been working on the programs I use to help convert the basic
files which are kept in RTF format into decent looking HTML code, which is
what the web uses. Last spring I had a disk crash which took with it the
programs I was then using. This new set of programs adds things such as a
list of similar files which are real links and not
just text names. It also makes most links clickable from the file.
Unfortunately, the latter feature still has a few problems which I will fix
in the near future. In the meantime, I wanted to start using this program on
the new and upgraded files.

My records show that over 6000 different browsers were used to access the
Florilegium last month. There is no way that I can test the results of my
new program with this many systems. So, please take a look at these new
files and if you have a problem, please let me know and I will see about
fixing it. Also, if you have any suggestions about improving the format of
the new files, including the graphics, please let me know.

Stefan

-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information
available to others, I have placed this information in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible
inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials, editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
under COMBAT:
    Sword-Fighting-art   "’The Secrets of Sword Fighting!’ (Now they  can be
yours!)"
        by Duke Arthur of Lockehaven, MSCA, OL, OP.

under FEASTS:
    Lenten-Fst-mnu-art   The menu for a small feast in Lent by Brekke
Franksdottir.
    Valentine-fst-art    A Valentines Day themed feast.

Under FOOD:
    fresh-cheeses-msg    Fresh cheeses such as ricotta, cream cheese and
cottage cheese. Non-aged cheeses.

under FOOD-SWEETS:
    flavord-sugars-msg   Period flavored, infused sugars.

Under FOOD-BY-REGION:
    fd-Sicily-msg        Food of medieval Sicily.

Under HOME, SWEET HOME:
    Med-Lighting-lnks    Links to medieval lighting  by Dame Aoife Finn of
Ynos Mon.

under SCRIBAL ARTS:
    Med-Seals-lnks       Links to info on medieval seals and signet  rings
by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.

And this month’s updated files include:
    beets-msg            Period beet roots and beet greens. Recipes.
    candied-peel-msg     Candied fruit peels. A late period treat.
    cheese-msg           Medieval cheese. Recipes.
    East-hist-msg        Histories of the East Kingdom.
    figs-msg             Period figs. Period uses. Recipes.
    indulgences-msg      Use of "indulgences" by the Church in period
    leavening-msg        Period leavening agents other than yeast.
    ME-feasts-msg        Middle Eastern feasts. sitting, serving.
    pearls-msg           Period pearls. Use in jewelry and elsewhere.
    poisons-msg          Medieval poisons.
    pomegranates-msg     Pomegranate fruit, juice and seeds.
    sauces-msg           Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
    seafood-msg          Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
    spice-mixes-msg      Period spice mixtures. Poudre Forte, Douce.
    sugar-msg            Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
    venison-msg          Medieval and modern recipes for venison.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com