[Artemisia] Fleur-de-lis

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Wed May 26 00:03:14 CDT 2004

Somewhere I read that Europeans brought this symbol back from the
Crusades. I do not recall where I read this, but it stuck with me because
I always thought it was a European thing.

Ah, it is true, the East greatly influenced the Renaissance.
Yasmeena

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:52:22 -0700 (PDT) Naima <ladywolf89 at yahoo.com>
writes:
> this is a cute little tidbit I found a couple days ago
> if you already know this info, cool, if not then here
> it is (the professional historian that I am just HAS
> to share hehehe)
>
> The Fleur-de-lis the Emblem of Royalty
> (word for word from my little flower brochure)
> The symbol of elegance, refinement and opulence, the
> iris has been cherished by kings, queens and gardeners
> since the beginning of history.  During the Crusades,
> Louis VII of France chose the iris as his personal
> symbol, known as the Fleur-de-Louis,which later became
> Fleur-de-lis.  Ever since, the stylized iris has been
> the symbol of French Royalty.  it glistened on the
> robes of the Sun King, Louis XIV.  It is etched,
> carved, and gilded into every corner of Versailles,
> the pleasure chateau of French kings.  And in the
> gardens of this paradise, the noble iris still reigns
> supreme.
>
> (it's a brochure on Iris Collections from Spring Hill
> Nursuries) hehe
>
> Naima (entering in last history thoughts before she moves)
>
> =====
> Sayyida Naima bint Rashid al-Andalusiyya, CGP
> Shire of Bronzehelm
> Kingdom of Artemisia
>
> Don't let other people's littleness bring out the littleness in you!

Al-Farissa Mu'allemah Yasmeena, OL, OP, Cd'O
"The Equestrian Mistress Yasmeena"
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Mounted Companion of the Lance of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html