[Artemisia] You know you've been in Artemisia when...

drchelm no1home at onewest.net
Wed Nov 17 00:09:47 CST 2004

There's a place on the Snake River, not too far from where Coronation
was at, called Thousand Springs.  It's where the Snake River Aquifer
discharges out of the basalt-sided cliffs in the canyon of the Snake
River near Hagerman, west of Twin Falls.  Let me digress briefly on
this aquifer.  It is the largest basalt-hosted aquifer in the world,
and also the most prolific.  The bulk of the snowpac that falls on the
Beaverheads, Tetons, Grand Targhees and Yellowstone melts and gets
sucked out of the forks of the Snake River and into the aquifer.
That's a lot of water, folks, and since most of the world's french
fries are grown using this resource, the aquifer is pretty important,
not just to folks in Idaho, but to fast-food lovers everywhere.

So what does this have to do with Artemisia?  Well, I'm getting there.
Patience, bubula, patience...

As you may or may not know, I spend most of my days at work thinking
deep meaningful thoughts about the rocks that host the Snake River
Aquifer.  That's a lot of rocks, all of the East Snake River Plain, in
fact.  You may find it hard to believe that a big boring pile of basalt
with some water in it captivates my days, but hey, it beats working for
a living...   ;-)

So what does this have to do with Artemisia?  Well, I'm getting there.
Patience, bubula, patience...

Now, lately, things have been looking kinda glum around our house.
There was a death in my family recently, and though it was not a great
surprise at the end of a long illness, it still managed to throw me for
a loop, enough so that I was not able to get to Denver last week to
give a paper on that big boring pile of basalt.  I really wanted to
give that paper.  It would have been a show stopper.  I have evidence
that not too long ago, the Big Lost River had an entirely different
route than the one it has today.  Now, this route I've found cuts south
across the plain, UNDER the Craters of the Moon, where there is no
water today, and then southwest to the Snake River.  The place where
this abandoned river channel meets up  with the Snake River is at
Thousand Springs, where the modern aquifer cascades out of the cliffs
and into the river.

So what does this have to do with Artemisia?  Well, I'm getting there.
Patience, bubula, patience...

If the hypothesized abandoned river channel is real, it has the
potential of rewriting the geologic history of the East Snake River
Plain.  I really wanted to give this paper at the meeting in Denver.  I
won't have another opportunity to present this research until next May.
  To stay productive until then, I need to churn out my results and get
them published.  Since last Wednesday, I've taken my presentation
materials and converted them into 50 pages of a draft journal article.
I gave my collaborators copies, which most have read.

So what does this have to do with Artemisia?  Well, we're finally
there.  Here's a quote that everyone noticed from the draft article:

"...there may be channel deposits in the subsurface extending from the
town of Arco, under the Craters of the Moon, and westward towards the
discharge area of the Snake River Aquifer at Thousand Eyes."

I'm never going to hear the end of this at work...

ttfn
Therasia von AwesomeTypos