[Artemisia] Stefan's files for October

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Oct 4 17:25:40 CDT 2004

 A Blending of the Past and Present

 Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been  collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail  lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make  this information
available to others, I have placed this information in
 a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

 I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me  for
possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

 I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,  editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more  details.

       THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

 One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new
format which includes several new features such as making links  "pickable"
and some  disguising of all email addresses to make it  harder for the
spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this  site. I support the
execution of any convicted spammer. Yes, I am  modifying all 1800+ files as
fast as I can. This  means that while I  will continue to add new files each
month, the usual amount will  be  reduced. However, as I update the files to
the new format, I am adding  any information I have waiting to go in a file,
so there will be more updated files. Please let me know if you like the new
format or have
 any suggestions.

 Here are the new files for this month:

 In the ANIMALS section:
 horses-lnks             Links on medieval and SCA horses by Dame Aoife Finn
of Ynos Mon.

 In the COMBAT section:
 Women-Warriors-art      "Women Warriors: Myth or Reality?"
     by Mistress Siobhan ni Seaghdha.

 In the CRAFTS section:
 tools-lnks              Links on medieval tools by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos
Mon.

 In the PERSONAL CARE section:
 Hist-of-Soap-art        "What no Soap?" by Lord Xaviar the Eccentric.

 In the RELIGION section:
 nuns-a-monks-lnks       Links to medieval holy orders
by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon. Nuns. Monks.

 Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the largest
amounts of new material:
    cl-Germany-msg       Clothing of Medieval Germany.
     cl-Wales-msg         Clothing of medieval Wales. Resources.
     coins-msg            Period coins, making coins.
     commerce-msg         Commerce and trade in period.
     cotehardies-msg      Making 13th century cotehardies.
     feast-menus-msg      Feast menus from various SCA feasts.
     merch-books-msg      Directory and reviews of book merchants.
     merchanting-msg      Merchanting in the SCA.
     p-spice-trade-msg    The period spice trade. Routes, methods.
     salt-msg             Medieval salt production and use.
     underwear-msg        What to wear under garb. SCA and period.

 Here are a few files which are appropriate for October:
 Halloween-art       "Halloween, Medieval Style" by Lady Muireann ni
Riordain (Jessica Wilbur).
 gourds-msg              Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
 maize-msg               Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the
                             Americas and its introduction to Europe.
 ---
 Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
 Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

> --------
     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
 StefanliRous at austin.rr.com