[Artemisia] Copyright

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Tue Oct 12 09:49:47 CDT 2004

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> While I'm not questioning your credentials, there's generally more to it
> than that, Redhawk.  Copyright and "publishing" things in toto on the
> internet are very, uhm, argumentative subjects these days.
> --maire, who's been through a LOT of those discussions on some serious
> lists....(ad infinitum, ad nauseum, sometimes ;o)

Agreed, (and since I do TONS of this here at UM). Just because one owns
the publication a work is in, it does not give one the permission or
right to republish that work. That remains with the author. Control and
protection of intellectual knowledge are a big part of today's
copyright. On the Internet one has little control of where or who gets a
work. While giving proper credit is required when citing a work,
changing the FORMAT of a work can be a copyright violation as it is
essentially republishing the work for a new audience. Rule of thumb on
format change is...get permission first and IN WRITING, then move forward.

I invite anyone who wants to look more into copyright to look to the
University of Texas's website on copyright. Theirs is one of the easiest
to read.

Juliana