[Artemisia] Re:question about circlets god help me

Redhawk sca_redhawk at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 17:26:10 CDT 2005

I have been printing out every  manual on law that I could find, so I have answered my own question.  In Kingdom Law this is what it states:

~ Crowns and Coronets ~~

Crowns are worn by the King and Queen of Artemisia, and the Crown Prince and Princess of Artemisia.
Coronets are worn by the Royal Peers, the Ruling Territorial Barons and Baronesses, Founding Territorial Barons and Baronesses, Former Landed Barons and Baronesses, and the Barons and Baronesses of the Court.
Circlets of metal are restricted to the Royal Peers and the Baronage.

So that's that.  It's not allowed so.. that's that.. =-)

Redhawk

"Alex B." <lamiastrix at bresnan.net> wrote:M'Lords and M'Ladies,

Hmmm... Without stepping in it too deeply, and not intentionally fanning
the flames of a sore subject... Would someone mind explaining to some of
us (I cannot be the only one) newer players WHY? I merely ask out of
curiosity (and knowing what that did to the cat, I cringe just a little),
as, being a scholar, a circlet of any kind just wouldn't look right with
the black coif and biretta.

Seumas.
***************************************

And you all thought this conversation would go away when I did...
As to WHY circlets are so frowned upon in fair Artemisia, dear Seumas, that's
simple... the folks who were in power when this kingdom got started had issues
with the "have nots" being "mistaken" (oh the horror) with the "haves." Now
you'll hear endless protestations that this simply isn't true and it's really
all about making sure those who have "earned" their rank/titles/recognition
are properly recognized for their achievements. That it's really all a matter
of respect. Yet any time you talk to one of those good folks who do indeed
possess the "right" to wear circlets in Artemisia they have a tendency to tell
you that THEY really couldn't care less about the exclusivity of their
circlets... and indeed many of them don't wear circlets for a number of
reasons, most being concerned with whether or not such an item would be
historically consistent with their garb. And we all know how silly it is to
be concerned with authenticity in the SCA but there it is. So it remains a
murky Artemisian mystery as to WHY it's such a flaming big deal. But it is.
Believe me on that one.
Returning to my school books...
Regards,
Lucia the Exile

“Beware of people who dislike cats” Irish proverb