[Artemisia] Was Grrrr now Uprising History

Cheryl Robertson bcecilia at robertson.myrf.net
Sun Apr 10 11:58:31 CDT 2005

On 4/5/05 10:58 PM, "Mary Hodges" <hodgemary at onewest.net> wrote:

> John Gibson wrote:
>> :-are listed too.  Except of course for the Founding Baron and Baroness.
>> :-But, for your math homework, Uprising I was held the same year that the
>> :-Barony was created and Edward and Allesandra took the thrones.  And, as
>> :-for which month, well, Baronial Birthday isn't called that for no reason.
>>
>> So you are saying we became a Barony November 21, 1987 ?
>>
>> John
>

> Actually, I think it was the 14th of November.  I was there, and I was
> awarded arms on that night.
>
> Jehane de Saint Michael

And to add one more bit of history to this thread.  Lady Jehane St. Michal
is conrrect of the date One Thousand eyes became a Barony.  But as Paul
Harvey might say  "here's the rest of the story"

The very first Uprising was the year before.  It was  Entitled "The Shires
Uprising" and the premace was that the Shires of Artemesia (we were not even
a Prinipality at that time) were revolting and Uprising against the "tyrany
of the Barony of Loch Salann" (the only Barony at the time in Artemisia).
The day dawned and found the Shires taking the field being led by their
commander Sir Thomas DeBohan (sp).  The Barony fielded about 20 Knights.
The command to lay on was given and a great battle ensued.  The shires
fought bravely but in the end the Barony prevailed.  After that everyone
"chose up sides"  and several battle scenarios took place for the rest of
the afternoon.  There are many more stories to be told of that very first
Uprising including HE Sir Edward Drakenfeld being brought into court in
"stocks".

When it came time for the next years event to be planned, Thousand Eyes had
become a Barony and it wouldn't have been right to have the scenario
continue as "The Shires Uprising".  So for that ONE year it was called "The
Battle of the Baronies" (as a matter of fact, HG Duke Brion still calls it
that from time to time) and the two baronies recruited fighters and Shires
to join their side.

By the third year, we had more groups elevated to Baronial Level (Sentinal's
Keep and I believe Arn Hold) so the name reverted back to Uprising.  This
time the premace became what is basically described as "choosing up sides as
in a friendly game of sports"   It was promoted as we were Uprising against
the bordem, mundanity of winter. It was also a way of gathering together as
a family to exchange ideas, share stories, memories, skills and strengthen
the bond we share as a Principality (and now Kingdom).

There are so many stories and memories about the Early Uprisings and I would
invite/challenge any of us "Ole timers" to awaken those memories and tell as
many as you can during this upcoming Uprising.  I'll be there telling as
many as I can remember (which may not be many with my memory!!) and you are
all welcome to stop by my camp and join us.

YIS,
Mst. Cecilia di Firenze
Now a residence of the great Shire of Twae Linnes.