[Artemisia] For Artemisian Prize -- one prize to seek

Bruce Padget bapadget at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 20:01:19 CDT 2005

Along with my more learned brothers and sisters of the
Laurel, I have been urged to devise means of
recognizing achievement in the Arts and Sciences, for
Artemisia Prize, May 7 in Stan Wyrm.

I needed...something a little new, something a little
different, something a little...well, no room for
false modesty here, something a little me.

And as it happened, I was reading my shiny new copy of
Cardano's _Book on Games of Chance_, the ultimate
Italian Rennaissance work on games...

...and I stumbled across a passage that said gamesters
would often wear, carry, or hold an onyx, thought to
be a symbol of audacity...

...and I stumbled a bit further and found that,
colloquially, such a stone was called a "nicolo."

Who am I to fight destiny?

At Artemisian Prize, I will seek out and recognize
audacity in the arts and sciences.

What do I mean by audacity?  Trying something new (or
at least new to Artemisia) in the Arts and Sciences.
If you've made a novel discovery about the period we
study, wonderful!  But it does not have to be so
sweeping.  It can be something new to the SCA, or even
new to Artemisia.  It can be doing new things with old
arts -- a new way of teaching, or a way of spreading
interest in authentic recreation, where before there
might have been only isolated practitioners.  In other
words, the novelty I seek can pertain to a particular
art, or to what you are doing with that art.

If you know someone who exemplifies the sort of
audacity I seek, please let me know of them (OFFLIST),
so I can prepare to seek them out and discuss their
art with them.  You may, if you think it proper,
"nominate" yourself.  However, advance nomination will
not be required.  It will merely help me to focus my
attention, and engage expertise to help me.

However, I will only recognize someone who displays,
demonstrates, teaches, or discusses his or her art at
Artemisian Prize.  That is, you must be present to
win. :D

A caution:  I have no use for iconoclasm for its own
sake, or for wild flights of fancy.  Those who seek
this prize will be expected to document their ideas,
or at least be ready to discuss their research.
Boldness without knowledge or ability only annoys, and
there is nothing novel about being annoying.   I seek
to honor those who dare, and have learning and talent
to match their daring.

Of course, the one who carries away this prize will
receive an onyx as a token of my regard.

Please feel free to write me for any questions,
comments, or nominations.  Also, please feel free to
forward this missive as you think appropriate.  I ask
only that you forward it in its entirety.

Regards,
Niccolo
Abbastanza Buon Non E Abbastanza Buono
bapadget at yahoo.com