[Artemisia] Re: Artemisia Digest, Vol 19, Issue 31

leishman10 at juno.com leishman10 at juno.com
Sun Apr 24 19:04:39 CDT 2005

Regarding the conversations about pre-registrations.....

Actually,  I've done pre-registrations at both our Solstice event and at
the last Kingdom Coronation event...
the reason I initiated it was simple... I personally don't like to stand
in long lines.. and I wanted to make entrance into the event easier on
our guests and on me... the exchequer ;0)

Ok, perhaps there were other reasons:
1.  When you are planning a feast for 200 people, you want to know in
advance whether or not you really will be feeding that many people.
Shopping for 200 and serving 100, kinda does something to the budget.
Shopping for 100 and trying to feed 200 also does something to the guests
(that's why there are caps).  Pre-paid guests are guaranteed a place at
the table, unpaid reservations are only guaranteed a place up to a
certain point on the day of the event.

2.  If your site is very expensive, with advance registrations, you know
up front whether or not you are going to make that budget.  It also
enables you to meet the expenses that happen prior to the event  i.e.
site rental, purchase of food, etc.

3.  When you are trying to sign in hundreds of people for an event, not
only do they have to stand in line for a long time, possibly causing them
to miss out on some of the days activities, there is also always a
possibility that someone will mess up the paperwork, writes illegibly and
adds significant time to the exchequers job of trying to figure out what
the gate sheets actually say for event reporting.  Doing the bulk of it
in advance assures it is done correctly and printing the lists, then
requiring only a signature, makes the list easy to decipher. Makes the
exchequers job a lot easier.

4.  Taking care of registration in advance also gets folks in the door a
whole lot faster and your gate keepers are a lot less frazzled by the end
of the day.

Lots and lots of other misc reasons...... I for one am all for it.

If you don't have a working printer, the answer is easy:  Check the box
that says you want 'written confirmation' and include a self addressed
stamped envelope with your check.  If you want both, check both boxes and
include a self addressed stamped envelope with your check as well as your
email address.

If you loose your confirmation numbers (PRN in this case.... Pre
Registration  Number), it's unlikely you would loose your name (one or
the other), go the end of the long slow line and wait to have the gate
personnel look you up.

Why we don't pre-register all of our 'larger' events is beyond me.

Bethoc
The organized ;0)