[Artemisia] UNOFFICIAL Garb Shopping Logistics during Convocation

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 16:02:31 CDT 2005

{No, I haven’t forgotten about this treat. Life has just been more demanding
than usual the last two weeks.}

About a dozen gentles have expressed to me their interest in dropping by the
marketplace for Costume Con-23, the national costuming show that’s meeting
the same weekend as Convocation. As promised, here are the details for the
day:

Vending will take place in the Ogden Marriott Hotel, 247 24th Street,
approximately three blocks north and one block west of the Convocation
meeting site. The merchant booths will be located for easy access by foot
traffic in the Cottonwood Room.

As of April 22 (the latest report available), the merchants listed below
have confirmed their attendance at CC-23. More vendors may be present:

Aziza: fine fabrics, medieval & renaissance wear
Lance Oszko: Czech beads
Farthingale's: hard-to-find patterns & corsetry supplies
Gaylene's: fabrics & trims
Realm of Regalia: fine trims & accessories
Alteryears: hard-to-find books, patterns, & accessories
Imagecraft: costume art books

This link will take you to the map I generated through Yahoo:
http://tinyurl.com/dwf4g
(I’ll send you the original URL if you really want it, but it’s huge.)

The red star marks the Convocation meeting site. The yellow squares with red
circles indicate various restaurants along the way; click on any square for
more information. The Marriott Hotel is located in the cluster of three
yellow squares just west of the Ogden City Mall. For anyone healthy enough
to schlep across the grounds at Estrella in a cloak of waterlogged wool, the
jaunt to the Marriott should pose no problem. ;) I will have my car
available for ferrying folk with physical ailments or just too many shopping
bags.

The only real obstacle I can see for Convocation-goers is timing.
Convocation is scheduled to run Saturday from opening court at 10 am until
the last “section” meeting ends at 4:30. A lunch break is scheduled from 1
to 2 pm, but that may be overrun by the calendar planning session. The final
item on the Convocation schedule, the Open Populace Meeting, is scheduled
loosely from 4:30 to 6 pm, depending upon the issues raised and the number
of people who attend.

The CC-23 coordinator tells me the merchants will be open noon to 6 pm on
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The fashon show competitions are Saturday, so
the mecrhants aren't likely to stay open much past six that day.

I have received word from very reliable sources that Her Majesty and Their
Royal Highnesses would like to visit the merchants. (I have also heard it
whispered that His Majesty secretly harbors an unquenchable lust for fine
trim–but I put this down to salacious rumor.)  After a long day of business
meetings, I’m sure the Crowned Heads would welcome the chance to stretch the
royal legs and mentally switch gears. But I am EXTREMELY reluctant to usurp
logistic privilege and say “this train leaves at five o’clock, be on it or
be left out.” Kingdom business can and must take place over personal stash
enrichment.**

So here’s what I suggest: In the morning I will be making myself useful to
the Convocation autocrat in whatever ways I can. At the 1 pm break I will
lead a contingent of shoppers to the CC-23 merchants; those who are free for
the day can browse at their leisure, those who need to return to Convocation
for afternoon meetings I will ferry to and fro. [mental note: stock up on
quarters for parking meters] I’ll hover around the Populace Meeting until
Their Majesties are free, then zip them to the market. (Anybody got an extra
Kingdom taxicab sticker to lend?)

If all who are interested in after-hours snacking would converge at the
entrance to the Cottonwood Room at 6 pm-ish, we shall decide by consensus
which nearby eatery to invade. Gryphon’s Lair residents tell me good Chinese
food is cheap and plentiful in the area. I hesitate to make reservations
with any particular restaurant because we may have blown all our cash before
supper. ;)

The Lady Johanne has graciously offered her home for socializing after the
day’s plans. I think logistics planning for the group trip to her chateau
near Ogden Canyon would be handled best in person, over noshing.

For rides or questions during the day...just look for the frazzled little
brunette who’s tripping over the hem of her violet surcoat.

Feel free to forward this missive to your local lists.

Aurora de Portugal
Loch Salaan
**Heresy to the Cult of Fine Sewing.
I shall be martyred on