Subject: RE: [Artemisia] An Open Letter - Faith

Jeanine Schlauch jeaninegrace at cableone.net
Tue Aug 2 19:54:25 CDT 2005

You know, Bruce?  You really are one of my favorite people

Ja'mala (& Jeanine)  ;o)

Writing as Bruce, not Niccolo, responding to the wise
words of Sir Conrad --

There are several principles at work here.

First, *in general,* the Board of Directors should
stay out of the medieval (or pseudo-medieval) aspects
of the game.  The metaphor I like is that the BoD
provides a field, and stays pretty much off it while
we play on it.

Second, *in general,* people from one Kingdom should
not involve themselves in the affairs of other
Kingdoms, except as invited.

Third, personal friendships or cliques should have no
influence on the decisions of a Crown, its officers,
or the BoD, or the actions of peers vis-a-vis Crowns,
officers, or BoD.  Notice I don't say "in general" on
this one.  And this is a good time to remind all that
when you point a finger, three fingers point right
back at you.

Finally, all involved should remember where the
ultimate authority is.  And it's not the BoD, the
Crowns, the officers, or the peers.  (And now you'll
understand why Bruce is writing this, not Niccolo.)
When you get right down to it, Niccolo is a
make-believe peer in a make-believe kingdom with
make-believe royalty.  Niccolo will always accord
Crowns and peers the prerogatives of their rank, as
should all personae.

But each real-world person has the right -- and I
believe duty -- to decide for himself on a continuing
basis whether Crowns and peers are worthy of those
prerogatives.  And if the time ever comes when Bruce
can no longer believe in our make-believe Crowns and
peers, he'll just stop taking Niccolo to events.

The Crown of Caid is inscribed with the words, "You
rule because they believe."  BoD, Crowns, and peers
alike -- only because, so long as, and to the extent,
that we all believe.

If the BoD messes too much in the game, we stop
believing, and the game falls apart.

If Crowns or peers do things unworthy of their rank
and station, we stop believing, and the game falls
apart.

Bruce A. Padget
bapadget at yahoo.com

---------