[Artemisia] Update 1a- An Open Letter Re: Ibrahim and Ileana and the Board of Directors

Dan S. wyddershin at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:19:22 CDT 2005

Greetings,

The following is an open letter to the Kingdom of the Outlands from  Dyke
Ibrahim and Duchess Ileana

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greetings unto the peers and populace of the Outlands.

First, we would like to thank this great kingdom for giving me the
opportunity to represent you as your sovereign. I have had a wonderful
time during my stay here and hope to return one day.

There are several members of our populace who were concerned about our
last act as crown, that being the knighting of Duke Lycurgus. It seems
that most of the concern is about the way the ceremony unfolded,
rather than the act itself. We would like to first apologize for
offending those people who took offense at the ceremony itself. It was
never our intent to insult anyone. It has also been brought to our
attention that some were upset that they were made to stand during the
ceremony. Our populace has great respect for its royalty and we did
not notice that those assembled rose and stood for the Prince and
Princess and then waited to be given their ease instead of
just "taking" their ease after their show of respect. That was an
oversight on our part and we did not realize it until it was too late;
for that we truly apologize.

Certain members of the Outlands Chivalry have approached us and said
that they would have liked to have known of the knighting prior to the
ceremony. We did inform some members of the chivalry of our intent,
but did not address the circle as a whole. We did not have a circle
that day, but in retrospect, we should have held a quick circle prior
to bestowing the accolade of knighthood.

In early March, I told Lycurgus that we, the crown, would like to have
him back in the Chivalry Circle and that we were willing to return his
accolade to him. We asked Lycurgus to think about this and give us an
answer as soon as possible. In late April, a month and a half later,
Lycurgus told us that he had sought and received counsel and
deliberated on the idea of coming out of retirement and thought that
it was time he accepted our offer.

When Lycurgus offered his version of the ceremony to us for our
approval we saw nothing wrong with it and were excited in the prospect
of doing something different. For every peer I have ever made, I felt
it necessary to fully include the candidate in their ceremony and
supported whatever special requests or adjustments they have made to
their own ceremonies, as have many kings we've known over the years
have done in the past. The ceremony was written in the style of
calling Lycurgus out of retirement, for we felt that his counsel was
once again needed in the Chivalry circle. We have always been a
supporter of people doing things in a non-traditional manner, if for
nothing else than to be original and creative in this game. So, when
Lycurgus' ceremony did not call for the knights to come forward, not
using the baby knight's chain, no gifting of a sword, and no buffet,
at the time we saw nothing wrong with this. The ceremony was not meant
to disgrace or discredit the Outlands' order of Chivalry or upset the
other peerages or the populace. Looking back on the ceremony, perhaps
we should have kept closer to Outlands traditional ceremony.

We apologize for the confusing language in the ceremony regarding
representative peerages speaking for the candidate. We are aware that
it was Lycurgus' choice to do it this way, but we didn't know that the
people who spoke for him at his previous ceremony would be offended by
the language used in this ceremony. Certainly his Grace could have
found others to speak, easing the discomfort of those who had done so
before. Unfortunately, I thought it was an acceptable way to have
representation without researching who those people might be.

We would request that any who would wish to talk with us personally on
this subject, to please seek us out. We apologize again for offending
those who were upset; it was not our goal to affront anyone. Thank you
all for your support during our reign and we hope for your future
forgiveness and understanding.

Long live the Outlands.

Ibrahim al-Dimaqshi and Ileana Welgy