[Artemisia] Second Open Letter Re:Ibrahim and Ileana and the BoD

Dan S. wyddershin at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 21 14:29:45 CDT 2005

Greetings,

I would agree with Duke Alan (hi btw, LTNS) that this truly is not a case of
a "severe lack of Chivalry".

Phrases like that often cause situations like this to flare up on a personal
level that do no good for anyone.

As much as possible, I would like to assure folks that I have contacted the
players directly. I've had two long phone conversations with Ibrahim and
spent about an hour on the phone with King Hoegaarden. I've also reprinted
and distributed the letters that both of these gentlemen published in the
Outlands Kingdom Newsletter that states each of their positions on this
issue.

Whether you feel Duke Lycurgus does or doesn't deserve to be re-knighted is
beside the point at this time. I've had a few very short e-mails from him,
and that is the full extent of our conversations.

The issue here is whether or not you agree that the BoD should be in charge
of enforcing unwritten traditions of a Kingdom and sanctioning Crowns for
'breaking' customs (rather than creating them-which is part of what I think
a Crowns job is to do).

Remember, no one has disputed whether or not Duke Ibrahim and Duchess Ileana
broke Kingdom, Society or Mundane Law. The did not. I strongly feel that
THAT is where the BoD should draw the line at interfering with Kingdoms. I
do not want my Kingdom (or my former Kingdom) to be 'ruled' by the
Corporation and deciding who does and does not get peerages while the Crowns
are relegated to figurehead status.

And that is exactly what we are discussing here. Whether or not the
Corporation should be meddling in Kingdom level decisions such as Peerage
elevations. If the BoD rules that Ibrahim and Ileana are to be sanctioned
because the did not follow the 'tradition' of formally polling the Order in
the classic style, then what we left with is yet another weakening of the
Crowns of the SCA.

The standard now is the Crown must consult with the order then make a
decision based on their own judgment.

What the peers in the Outlands are defacto requiring is that peers must be
formally polled by the order. Is polling a bad thing? No, it's probably the
smart thing to do and in hindsight I'm thinking Ibrahim would have done so.

But this is NOT a call for the BoD to make. This is a Kingdom Level issue.
Not only that, there is clear and precise Outlands Kingdom Law that says
Ibrahim and Ileana are entitled to a Court of Inquiry and then a Court of
Chivalry before this matter can be sent up to the BoD. Those Kingdom Laws
were flagrantly broken in an overzealous rush to punish Their Graces (
http://www.outlands.org/Library/lawweb.html#10 ).

This is made all the more obvious with the rejection by the Outlands to
accept a self-imposed sanction by Ibrahim and Ileana for 2 years upon
themselves. This would NOT be the Kingdom sanctioning Ibrahim and Ileana,
which would be  against Corpora, but it would be a Kingdom accepting a
voluntary apology and penance by a former Crown.

Just to be clear. I'm encouraging people who read this, and especially
people who know Ibrahim in Artemisia (among others) to write the BoD (
Directors at sca.org ) and the Society Seneschal (Seneschal at sca.org ) and tell
them to exercise their option to NOT get involved in this issue and send it
back to the Kingdom where it belongs.  If the Kingdom, after a Court of
Inquiry and a Court of Chivalry (according to Outlands Kingdom Law) decides
NOT to accept Ibrahim and Ileana's apology and self-sanctioning, and finds
them in violation of Kingdom Law or Corpora, THEN it is appropriate to send
the matter up to the BoD for review.

As it stands now, and I hate to disagree with His Grace Alan, but I must
respectfully do so, if you wait passively while the BoD and the Society
Seneschal work this out without providing your input, it will be too late to
do anything AFTER Ibrahim and Ileana are sanctioned.

The time to make your voices heard is NOW, not later. Don't let one
Kingdom's peers case a ruling that affects ALL the Kingdoms (including
Artemisia) across the board.

In Service,

Sir Daniel d'Antioche
(formerly known as Dan Halfhand and soon to be heir apparent to the Gryphon
thrones. Although I'm sure my dad will ONCE AGAIN put some pretender up
ahead of me about a month or so after he makes his big scor.. I mean is
Crowned as the rightful King of Artemisia. BUT I'M NOT BITTER!!!!!!)