[Artemisia] a new challenge

Rebecca Mikkelsen mikkelsen_rebecca at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:42:26 CDT 2005

I have a new challenge for everyone--make an embroidery sampler.  Let me
'splain.

Women used to carry ideas and patterns for embroidery on a sampler.
Originally these samplers were random patterns.  Eventually the became the
needlework that every little girl did with a quote and the ABC's.

I would like to see everyone dragging around their own samplers of designs.
I think it would be fun to meet new people at an event by looking at their
designs and sharing designs, etc.  This will also be a Laurel's Prize
Tourney of sorts.  I encourage the Laurels (and anyone, really) to check out
the designs and give little tokens for designs well-stitched, knowing the
history behind a design, having the most designs form far-distance events,
etc.  There are many ways in which these samplers can be recognized.

This challenge is for anyone who starts a project and never finishes it.  It
is for people who like to try things out but don't want to make a huge
project of it.  If you like to meet new people, this is for you.  Especially
encourage newcomers to pick up a needle and thread and find someone who is
stitching.  Arts & Sciences Officers:  have some fabric, needles and thread
on hand to give to newbies.  Have a workshop or two on how to stitch.

Have Fun!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are doing!
Rebecca