[Artemisia] library demo challenge--do you remember?

John Lawler woodmancreations at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 09:15:17 CDT 2005

The Shire of Crystal Crags organized and held three demos. One in Kalispell,
one in Columbia Falls, and one in Whitefish, MT. We also had attendees at
the Barony of Sentinels Keep's demo as well. We had well over 125 kids at
our first demo, 150 at the second and we lost count after 200 at the
Whitefish demo. One thing that helped our attendance is that we had very
good media coverage. I organized the demos and each time I contacted the
papers weeks before to allow them time to run a story BEFORE the event. That
way it would be fresh in people's minds before the event and not oh shoot we
missed it after the event. Also most TV stations have a free community
calendar that they allow you to post an event. ours was actually mentioned
on the air as well as appearing on the calendar shot. The pictures we have
so far are posted on the Shires web page www.crystalcrags.org. And others
will be added soon. We actually have pictures from attendees that sent them
to us after the event. As for thank you letters, I can scan them and send
them off. I will also send the newspaper article they did as well.

One thing my wife (youth coordinator) did was have the kids make a favor for
the fighters to wear. I have all of mine and I wear them to every event.
That was the best reward of all!

And probably the best thing we have done so far that has had the most impact
was the making of boffer weapons. We now have about 10 boffer swords and we
have two boffer marshals (youths from our Shire) that actually organize and
run the boffer fighting, under adult supervision. But it really seemed that
the kids actually listened to the marshals more than the adults!

At the Columbia Falls library the librarians downloaded pictures from our
website and made flyers to hand out and also made bookmarks with the
fighters' pictures on them. It was really neat to see our pictures on stuff
the kids would actually take home. I will try to send some of these as well.

And the final result: we picked up about 12 new members as a direct result
of the demos and media information.

Yours in service (especially to the smalls)

Ely
(who loves boffer fighting with the kids as much as heavy combat!)

An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can still hold on to one blade of
grass and not fall off the face of the earth!