[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for December

caointiarn1 at juno.com caointiarn1 at juno.com
Tue Dec 6 15:38:00 CST 2005

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
A Happy Yule season to the Gentlefolk scattered across the Known World!

Sometimes it is hard to believe that another year has come to pass,  but=
 here we are in December again. In addition to the usual list of  =

new files added to the Florilegium this month, I've also included some o=
f the files that highlight this season.

Many SCA folks in the coastal areas of several kingdoms had high persona=
l losses during this year's hurricane season, as did many non- SCA folks=
. Please remember these folks and help out as you can. I have heard of a=
t least several grassroots efforts to aid our SCA  =

brethren put their SCA lives back on track as well as their modern ones.=

There *will* be a Gulf Wars event this year, despite both the site and t=
he surrounding area having taken damage during the hurricanes.  =

If you have been considering attending Gulf Wars, and particularly if yo=
u haven't been before, perhaps this is the year to go. The  =

surrounding community can use the injection of money that we bring and i=
f everyone pitches in a few hours helping clear downed timber  =

and such, much of the damage can be fixed. Many of the volunteers who he=
lp run Gulf Wars are among those who have suffered large losses  =

this year. By helping out a little bit more than usual, perhaps we  can =
make their jobs a little bit easier or help make up for those  =

who, having to put back together their modern lives, are unable to atten=
d the War this year.

As usual if you have any comments, suggestions or criticisms about the F=
lorilegium, please feel free to contact me.

Stefan

-------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting=
 bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail  =

lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make th=
is information available to others, I have placed this information  =

in a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article t=
hat would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send  =

it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more =
details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping me=
 maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,  =

editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more  detai=
ls.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in  ano=
ther way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  =

the site. Any donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the overh=
ead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the CLOTHING section:
    pants-trews-lnks     Links to info on medieval trews and pants by
                            Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the COMBAT section:
    blades-lnks          Links to info on medieval blades, swords and
                            knives by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CULTURES section:
    London-Hist-art      "A Brief History of the City of London" by
                            Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton of Leicester.
In the FEASTS section:
    Lansknecht-fst-art   EK Lansknecht Feast by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
    Winter-Feast-art     A 12th Night Feast served near Hamburg,
                            Germany in 2004 by Giano Balestriere.
In the FOOD section:
    larded-milk-msg      Larded milk. A fried, fresh cheese dish.
    paella-msg           Possible history of the Spanish rice and
                            seafood dish called paella.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
    jellied-milk-msg     An Elizabethan sweet similar to modern Jello
In the INFO-SOURCES section:
    med-machinry-lnks    Links to info on medieval machinery by Dame
                            Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the NORSE section:
    N-furniture-lnks     Links to info on Norse furniture by Mistress
                            Gunnvor Hallakarva.
In the PEOPLE section:
    Black-Prince-art     =93Prince Edward, The Black Prince of Wales=94
                            by Matthias Kotok.
    Elanor-o-Aqu-lnks    Links to info on Eleanore of Aquitaine
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
    sassafras-msg        Use of the New World plant sassafras in
                            Europe prior to 1600 CE.

Here is one of the updated files.
    fd-Spain-msg         Food of medieval Spain. Cookbooks.
    herbs-cooking-msg    Period herbs used in cooking.
    swordcare-msg        Comments on the care of steel swords.

The Yule season is fast approaching. Here are a few files connected  =

with this season:
    12th-nite-msg        12th Night celebrations.
    Christmas-art        Medieval Christmas.
    food-gifts-msg       Period food items that make good gifts.
    Holiday-Celeb-lnks   Links to medieval holiday celebrations
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    holiday-gifts-lnks   Links to medieval holiday gifts
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
    Pennsic-gifts-msg    Some gift ideas for those going to Pennsic.
    St-Nicholas-art      Article on the St. Nicholas traditions.
    T-H-Dreidel-art      "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora
                            Leuedai de Ardescote.
    Vik-Shp-lst-art      "Little Viking's Holiday Shopping List"
                            by Gunnora Hallakarva.
    wassail-msg          Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
    Xmas-art             "The True Meaning of Xmas".
    Yule-msg             Yule celebrations.
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted  =

if the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the  =

publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas           =

StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****=