[Artemisia] RE: Carving Soapstone

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Wed Dec 14 12:09:24 CST 2005

Michele Wolf wrote:

> Of course, this doesn't apply in the least to carving something like a bowl.
> A bucket of water is a very good thing for the bigger carvings.

And speaking as one who lives with several 35lb+ blocks of stone camping
in our basement...no kidding, there is this lovely shop in Edmonton, AB,
and US Customs has never asked us about the "ballast" in the back of our
truck. ;)

Anyway...

If you do bigger pieces, you will want to let them completely DRY before
using them. And in the case of lamps or cooking bowls you will also want
to temper them before use.

It's simple. Place the finished in a cold oven and raise the temperature
to moderate (300 degrees or so) and let it bake for a couple hours. Shut
the heat off and allow the piece to cool. Note: if you want "polished"
polish your piece first, it's really hard to do as an afterthought.

The heat contracts the natural asbestos in the rock and makes it more
dense and hard. Which keeps your lamp from absorbing and leaking oil all
over the place, and strengthens your bowl structure for regular use.

And if you make large objects...you get lots of waste chunks to cast or
make whorls with!! A dual-joy project. :)

Juliana