[Artemisia] No Point in Wasting the Travel Time

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Feb 3 18:21:25 CST 2005

Not true.  Depends on the airport, and sometimes on the type of knitting
needles.  People have gotten on airplanes with all kinds of textile
stuff recently.  Aurora, you should call the airline, or the Phoenix
airport and ask (and your local airport, as well).  Or their websites.
If you decide to take the chance, some folks tell me that they carry
with them a padded, self-addressed stamped envelope so that if they run
into someone being particularly cranky, they can mail their needles back
to themselves.  Sort of an extra insurance, especially if you've got
favorite needles, or ones made of exotic wood or something....
I didn't have any problem with embroidery needles when I was flying in
and out of Europe in the fall of 2002, and security was *extremely*
tight then, with the anniversary of 9-11 and all.  I packed some
(together with my embroidery scissors) in my checked luggage, and took a
couple of needles, my embroidery, and lengths of pre-cut floss with me
and had no problems at all.  Lots of interesting comments from fellow
travellers on the plane.
--maire, laurel of travelling textiles ;-)