[Artemisia] A&S

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 08:02:19 CST 2005

> A more relaxed atmosphere is definately less
> intimidating for many people. People seem to show in
> greater numbers at a prize tourney (usually a Laurel
> prize tourney).  Supporting A&S by sponsoring small
> tourneys at all kinds of events would (hopefully)
> encourage more participation.

In the mundane archery world I would agree with you in
that the more relaxed tournaments get better more
people participating.  They are fun to compete in and
I have made some great friends at these events from
all over the world.  They are very nice events to
shoot in.

I have noticed a couple of downsides to the more
relaxed tournaments.  There is less incentive to do
well in the more relaxed scores so the level of
competition goes down.  Another thing I have noticed
is that at the more minor events you don't get the
best and finest participating.

I am wondering if we can make doing well in A&S or
even becoming A&S Champion more meaningful. I have
found that "Competition Breeds A Better Product" but
simply competing a title doesn't have the same effect
as competiting for an actual prize.  Pick a sport and
would you see the same level of competition if the
prize was a mere trophy versus $$$?

Michael