[Artemisia] Tournament of Roses

Diana Hoff dianahoff at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 5 15:22:24 CST 2005

Thats a great site!
I love the equestrian rider from 1932
http://tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/timeline/images/TL-1361-L.jpg

-Dainya

Willa - Rose <yasmeena at juno.com> wrote:
Guess what? They did ring jousting at the first Tournament of Roses
Parade in 1890. This is from the history of the Rose Parade.

1890
First Parade and games. The members of the Valley Hunt Club voted to
stage, on January 1, 1890, a parade of flower-decorated horse and buggies
and an afternoon of public games on the "town lot" east of Los Robles
between Colorado and Santa Fe. The parade was to resemble the West's
version of the festival of roses in Nice, France.

Following the Parade, young men competed in a variety of foot races, tugs
of war, jousts and a tourney of rings -- an old Spanish game in which
mounted horsemen, each carrying a 12-foot lance, try to spear three rings
hung about thirty feet apart while riding at top speed. The tourney of
rings, coupled with the floral displays prompted Professor Holder, the
first president, to say, "Now we have the name we want -- The Tournament
of Roses." More than 2,000 people attended the first Tournament.

http://tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/timeline/TL-1890s.htm

1904
First chariot races staged, inspired in part by the best-selling book Ben
Hur. The chariot races, held at Tournament Park, continued until 1915
when it was decided that while the event was indeed popular, it was far
too dangerous and expensive.

http://tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/timeline/TL1187.htm
http://tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/timeline/TL1342.htm

Dont forget this one for horses and armor.

http://tournamentofroses.com/photogallery/timeline/TL1361.htm

Enjoy!
Yasmeena