[Artemisia] OT, graphic, and likely too much information regarding Malkins Knee surgery

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 14:12:00 CST 2005

Appologies to those who recieve this more than once.

The pre-surgery consultation went well.  We discussed options and what the
options would mean for the rest of the year.  All pretty standard stuff.

The surgery went as well as could be expected.  The ACL and LCL were
reconstructed … in the former case with my own hamstring tissue and in the
latter with a cadaver graft.  The MCL and PCL were repaired as far as
possible without surrender, and the femoral chondial was micro-fractured to
try to convince it to smooth out some.  In theory, the contract surgeon from
the University of Utah Med center, Dr. Lohav, did the surgery.  That being
said, if I am reading the human animal rightly, Dr. Bryan, VA intern
actually did the procedure under the direction of Dr. Lohav.  It is the
nature of the beast, when dealing with VA hospitals.  VA hospitals are
teaching facilities.  My suspicion is born in part, due to the protective
nature of in Dr. Bryan’s concern while I was in the hospital, and the
protective nature of his discharge instructions.  In this case at least, I
don’t mind.  Everybody has to have a first time to do something, the LCL
reconstruction is a very uncommon surgery, and I believe that the job was
done well and thoroughly.

The post surgery thing did not go well.  As sometimes happens, the patient
woke up throwing up.  The individual in charge must have decided that I was
not done cooking yet, and she used what I suspect was Ether to put me out
again.  Dosing with Ether is not an exact science,  and she put me too far
out.  My core temperature dropped to 93 before I was able to get them to
understand that I was soooo cold.  Then … I passed out.  When I regained
consciousness, I had what looked like an air mattress full of holes over me.
  The device was attached to a heat pump, and for the first time in a while
… I was warm.  It was WONDERFUL, and would really like to know where I can
get one of those contraptions for my own personal use.

Recovery issue two … the procedure involved using a femoral nerve block.
The two ladies that administered the block took four tries to find the
juncture where the femoral nerve exits the pelvis.  I have four distinct
puncture wounds and four little bruises at the exact place where leg becomes
hip.  I am so glad I was unconscious for all of THAT.  As a result, however,
I was unable to feel my left foot for three days after the surgery.  What I
could feel was comparable to having ones foot fall asleep.  Ever try to walk
on crutches when you can’t feel what the other foot is doing?  Let us just
call it a low-quality recreational experience and leave it at that.  I still
can not feel about half of the bottom of the foot, but the Doctor informs me
that so long as there is daily improvement, there is nothing to worry about.

Three days in the surgical care ward, and another two in the interim care
ward, and then the two and a half hour drive home, and all is well.  The
doctor informs me that if I follow his instructions to the letter, I should
be able to dance at least the slow ones by Coronation in March, that I
should be able to walk well in two months, run in four months, and manage
the Fire Pack Test (3 miles, 45 pound pack, in 45 minutes), by June.  I am,
have been, and will continue to follow the instructions to the letter,

"It is a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word" ...
Thomas Jefferson

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com