[Artemisia] [Fwd: [Pelicans] Fwd: [Fwd: [sca-west] Digest Number 2812]]

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Wed Jun 15 17:03:12 CDT 2005

Forwarded with permission

Shauna

-------- Original Message --------

Gentle Lords and Ladies,

       Yesterday, Baron Siegfried the Immane, Master of the Pelican,
thirteen years the Kingdom Constable of AnTir and many more a
constable in our Kingdom, journeyed to the realm of stars, to be with
his protege Lady Eowyn Carrick, my Lord Father Gerhard Kendal, Master
Robbin Greybeard, Colonel Evan Grahame of Montrose, our beloved
Dowager Princess Janeltis, and many others.

       He was the strongest man I ever knew, and I have known many,
many strong men. A prisoner of war during Vietnam, unacknowledged by
his own government, he suffered from injuries incurred for entire
rest of his life, without complaint. He was always so quiet about
what the war had done to him; I was the one who was outraged and
wanting to rattle the sabres. I will never know how he could not seek
the justice he deserved.

      When he left the military, he longed to be a police officer, and
he lived his dream for many years, until his ethics got caught in the
politics of the job and he was asked to resign when he attempted to
arrest a rather highly placed politician. But, to the day he died he
remained a cop at heart, and an investigator to the end.

       That natural gift as an investigator was his greatest strength
as a constable in AnTir. People would tell him things that they would
never dream of telling anyone else, and it saved AnTir from problems
on many occasions. For him, being a constable was as natural as
breathing, and we were blessed to have him watching over our tourney
fields and halls.

       He brought his ability to "speak truth to power" to the office
of marshal, and while it may not always have been comfortable for
those hearing his views, they could not ignore his words.

        For the last two years he had been tied to a dialysis machine,
but inspite of the bad days, when he felt horribly sick, he journeyed
to many events, some at great distance, because he wanted to serve
AnTir. I would gasp to see what it cost his strength, but he was
determined, and I couldn't deny him his heart's desire.

       His time on dialysis was logistically difficult, because of his
immigration situation in Canada, but the people of Lions Gate stepped
forward in an effort unparalleled in this Kingdom. For two straight
years they took him back and forth from Lions Gate to Shittimwoode
three days a week, at an ungodly time of the morning, and never
groused about it to him or me. Those amazing generous souls included:
Baroness Amanda Kendal of Westmoreland (a more amazing Mom there
couldn't be), Baron Gerhard Kendal (just as amzing a Dad), His
Lordship Kenneth of Shaftsbury, Her Ladyship Genevieve Barbota of
Griffinshold, Sergeant Rodrigo de Cordova, Baroness Aurora Argentius,
the lady Leah of Surrey, Her Ladyship Rosalinde McAllister, Lady
Safiye Konstantiniyye, Lady Brigitte die Arrogante, His Lordship
Curtiss of Rum, Lady Aislinn Fiona of Rum, Lady Tille Sparewe, and
others that I'm sure have temporarily slipped my mind (forgive me, I
can't sleep, but research is beyond me right now). Please know that
each and every one of you have Siegfried's and my love, and respect,
and gratitude. There are not enough words in the English language to
thank you for what you have done. It will ever burn bright in my
heart; it was such a source of joy and wonderment to my husband and
myself.

     Please tell his tales throughout AnTir and the Known World, that
such a man, huge in his heart, iron in his will, rock in his
convictions, and bountiful in his service, once strode the lands of
AnTir, and helped to build it into the Kingdom it is today. He would
treasure that legacy.

      When we married I promised to love him and cherish him until the
day we were parted by death, but I can't keep that agreement; I will
be helplessly in love with the man who changed my life in so many
more ways than I can count forever.

     Love and Hugs,
     Melissa Kendal,
     Proud Wife of Baron Siegfried the Immane, OP

http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/LmiolB/TM