[Artemisia] FW: Need to find

L.J. Richards xrichards at montana.com
Wed Jun 29 23:23:10 CDT 2005

Cecilia,

Wasn't aware that punch embroidery was done on ada cloth - linen, canvas,
etc., knew about.  Also styrofoam and cardboard are bad stuff!  When any of
you go to this much work, please use acid-free foamcore for backing - it's
not that expensive.  You can cut it with an exacto knife (when the foam
starts to curl, need new blade).  Most university book/art stores have it
and local art suppliers often have it.  The universities are cheaper than
the art suppliers usually.  A/F foamcore is a pale cream color (usually) and
the non a/f is white.  Never use the 'sticky' board either!  Conservators
(and dry cleaners) haven't found a way as far as I know to safely get rid of
the glue that adhers to the ada cloth, linen, canvas - whatever - and
eventually eats it up.

I think there are punchwork pieces from the 1700s (and possibly 1600s) -
don't remember at the moment.  Know it was popular in the 1800s on.

Mom gets a needlework magazine called Herrscjmers, www.Herrschners.com,
1-800-441-0838.  The other might be Clotilde's (or they might know where to
go).

Good luck!
Bronwen of Irenwold