[Artemisia] Mysteries of the Orient, Arrows' Flight, aka Marco! Polo!

Karina Tucker tuckerka at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 11 09:22:14 CST 2005

Join us in the beauteous shire of Arrows’ Flight on April 2, 2005, for
“Mysteries of the Orient.”

“Marco”
“Polo!”
Young Edward chased the little girl and tagged her exuberantly, nearly
knocking her to the ground. He was quite proud of the new game he created
from the stories his father
told him about serving as a caravan guard for the great explorer Marco Polo.
“I want to play a new game,” Bronwyn whined petulantly.
“Okay,” Edward replied, “I know a new game.”
“How shall we play this game?” she inquired with a wry smile.
“The Chinese Way,” he confidently replied, putting his fists to his hips.
“How do we play it?  Is it a secret?” she asked.
“Aye, it’s a secret,” he replied and promptly stuck his tongue out at her.
She thought for a moment and nodded wisely.
”Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?”

Heavy Fighting: In the tradition of lacquered cloth armoring, nine (9)
colorful armor pieces (duct-taped cardboard) will be attached to each
fighter: helm, shoulder, shoulder, chest, forearm, forearm, thigh, thigh and
buttocks. When one piece of lacquered armor has been lost, that combatant
has lost that round. His opponent advances in the tournament and continues
in the bear pit! In the case of a dual-death, duct-tape will fly! When all
nine pieces (lives) have been removed by combat or *other* (normal SCA
combat rules apply) that fighter is out of the tournament. This is a Bear
Pit tournament with a prize for the last man with a piece of lacquered armor
attached!

Rapier Fighting will be a “Blanket Tournament” - everyone who enters the
tournament will lay a prize on the blanket, and the winner of the tournament
collects ALL the prizes laid forth! There may also be an impromptu “Snowball
Tournament.”

Feast - will consist of foods brought back by Marco Polo's travels to Asia:
       water, tea, mongolian milk tea [emotion theatre]
1st Remove:
    - steamed crab rolls, twice-cooked dry beef, cold-rolled egg
      (veg) sesame & bean sprouts, shredded sweet-carrot horseradish,
cucumber pickles
2nd Remove:
    - egg-flower soup, parchment beef, (veg) egg roll
3rd Remove:
    - mongolian chicken sticks & (veg) jeweled rice
4th Remove:
    - mongolian finger beef & (veg) jchop chae
5th Remove:
    - oranges in almond cream & almond cookies

Merchants:  If you would like to sell your wares at this event, please
contact the Event Stewards.

Children:  We love kids, please bring them!  We will be making a long
Chinese paper dragon and teaching them the dragon dance!

Arts and Science:  Please bring your recent arts and science work, there
will a mystery prize!

The Cost - $6 local Yen for members, $9 local Yen for nonmembers. Children
younger than 6 are free; youth aged 6 to 14 years are half price; family cap
of $20. Feast is $7 and worth every penny. Children younger than 6 are free,
youth aged 6 to 14 years are half price; family cap of $20. Get your feast
reservations in as soon as possible, seating is limited.

Event Stewards: Edward Kilraven and Martin Al'Akras

Feast Steward: Lord Bjorn inn Mikle

Directions: The site is the American Fork Senior Center, 54 East Main
Street, American Fork, Utah. Take your best route to American Fork via I-15.
Take exit 281 to American Fork. Turn east. This road becomes Main St. The
senior center is in the middle of town next to the park on Main. Turn at the
insurance agency next door to get to the off street parking in the rear. No
pets please. The site is very discreetly damp.