Service, was: Re: [Artemisia] Northern Barony

Thor and Jenn Nordwick hjordierocks at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 21:20:15 CST 2005

Very good point!  I'd also like to add my little tiny tidbit to all of
this...

Sometimes it's hard to find that niche. I've been playing for over 7 years
and have only now just begun to figure out what I want to do within the SCA.
It's hard to help out sometimes when you're not really sure what it is you
should be doing.

Also, for some of the more timid, alot of helping out and volunteering also
means quite a bit of recognition. I'm all for helping out in the kitchen and
staying late to make sure the hall is cleaned after an event or filling in a
vacant officer's position until somone suitable steps up. I'll sit in shire
meetings and help make site tokes.... but PLEASE PLEASE don't stand me up in
a crowd and publically thank me.  Please don't drag me in front of court to
give me some award. I'd rather not help than have to stand in front of a
huge crowd (in many cases of a whole lot of people I don't know) and have
all those faces staring at me.  I'd really rather not do it. I have no
problems with public speaking when I know I'm going to do it and I've had a
chance to prepare myself for it. But to have my name suddenly called in the
middle of an event...no thank you!

Sometimes just a small personal request with a sincere *personal* thank you
is all it takes to get people motivated and willing to volunteer.

Just my 2 cents...

m'Lady Gwenhwyvar (Thor's wife)