[Artemisia] Story Telling

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Fri Mar 18 13:02:12 CST 2005

Maybe it is time and appropriate to share some of those stories  among
ourselves.  To remind each other why we continue to play even through  the work and
the (say it softly) politics.

My first exposure to the SCA should have been my last.  Almost  everything
that could go wrong did.  We were told the wrong time to arrive  and got there
at 8:30 am when things were just being set up (the person who  invited us
didn't arrive until 3 hours later).  We were not told to wear  anything special
(just wear casual clothes, no one will mind).  We were not  told that there was
any sort of gate fee and, since it wasn't set up when we  arrived, just
strolled on in.  We could only stay 2 hours anyway since my  husband (now ex husband)
worked the graveyard shift and had to get home to  sleep.  So we strolled
around like a pair of tourists, mostly ignored with  the occasional curious or
derisive stare sent our way.

However, two things did occur that day.  First, a kind  gentleman noticed me
shifting from one foot to the other as we watched the eric  being set up and
my discomfort ignored by my husband who was busy watching the  fighting stuff.
He retrieved a chair and invited me to sit in it for as  long as needed.  How
kind.    Second, we purchased a nice  little lace snood from a merchant.  The
sort of transaction you could find  at any fair.  But, as we completed the
transaction, the merchant handed me  the snood and said something along the
lines of "Here ye are milady, and may ye  have many a year of enjoyment of such a
compliment to the beauty of your  raiment."

A small thing to do, staying in character and making such a  statement rather
than just saying here ya go.  Yet, that was the first  "magic" moment for me
in the SCA.  The first time that I realized I was not  a tourist but was
actually a part of this recreation of times past.  By  staying in character, he
allowed me to join him in character, to become a part  of the activity and not
just an observer.

Now, snoods are not the very best look on me.  In fact, my ex  husband once
commented that me wearing a snood looked somewhat like a hedgehog  doing battle
with a shower cap (and now you know one of the reasons he is an  ex).  But
you will still occasionally see me wearing a snood.  Because  it reminds me of
that first magic moment and of the real reason I play.   The opportunity to
step outside of my mundane cares and concerns and be a  different person.  The
opportunities to not only do research but put that  research to practical
applications.  And to know that often the things I do  and learn help me to be a
better person in both lives.  Even if it isn't my  best look, that little bit of
lace is well worth wearing on occasion to remind  myself of those things and
as an aid to reach those small moments of magic  again.

Remember that it is often the small things you do that can have the  biggest
impact.

Lady Constance de la Rose
Barony of Loch Salann
Kingdom of  Artemisia