Uprising Redux (was Re: [Artemisia] Northern Region)

cate no1home at onewest.net
Sat Mar 19 10:07:08 CST 2005

> I've attended the majority of Uprising's since I moved here.  Each
> year the price of attendance seems to increase with very good reasons.
>  Each year, attendance has seemed to dwindle, also with very good
> reasons and each year I have witnessed what seems an increasing number
> of complaints regarding the event.
>
> That means two things.
>
> Firstly, the populace needs to understand that this is the LAST
> kingdom-wide event left on the callender!  You may have to accept some
> inconveniences to attend.
>
> Secondly, the autocratting staff needs to take every complaint to
> heart and make every effort to make the experience ameniable for all
> of their guests.  This includes some serious review of the site.  I
> know finding sites is difficult, but have all avenues been truly
> investigated, including a site that lies perhaps somewhat outside of
> your territorial boundaries?

Good cousins and especially Iohne,

Many interesting points were raised in the above post to the list.  I
have not yet seen any responses yet but I get the Aerie as a digest so
it is more than possible there have been responses and I just haven't
seen them yet.

I do think we could benefit from a discussion of not just the Uprising
comment but also of the "low population density and dwindling
volunteer" problem.

I have a few brief points.  First, Uprising is a baronial, not kingdom,
event.  There has been much discussion in the past about the local
group vs. kingdom status of Uprising, often contentious and usually
frustrating.  The folks of 1000 eyes have spent many years and much
work to invent, run and sponsor Uprising and because of this, they
"own" this event.  It's been a huge investment on their part.  While
one could argue that this large and important event _should_ be a
kingdom event, an equally good case can be made to the contrary.  There
are several large events of great prominence throughout the known world
which are run by local groups: Ice Dragon (East), Egil's (An Tir) and
Rowany (Lochac) come immediately to mind.  Within each of these local
groups there exists a wealth of experience in running their events.
This event-specific experience is concentrated within these respective
groups.

"Nationalizing" an event like Uprising would dilute this autocratting
expertise and would take years to build back up.  As a kingdom event,
the logistics of running Uprising would also be much more difficult due
to spreading the autocratting staff throughout the kingdom - the
problem is one of communication.  It is non-trivial to coordinate the
efforts of a dispersed staff.  In fact, it is a huge undertaking to do
so.  I was an "autocrat's staff" at Pennsic one year.  My college
roommate was the autocrat.  I watched the process of coordination first
hand.  It was really hard to pull the dispersed staff together prior to
the event (been there, done that).  Uprising is in direct contrast to
this.  The organization for Uprising begins four months before the
event.  The entire staff sits down together frequently to work on the
myriad of tasks necessary to host the event.  The level of
communication is amazingly good - and this is why a small number of
people in 1000 Eyes can run an event this large year-after-year without
falling over dead.  The system of autocratting Uprising works pretty
well - do we really need to fix it? (that was meant to be a rhetorical
question).  So, while one could make a case for "nationalizing"
Uprising, a good case can be made for not doing so.

As to the choice of site, I have two thoughts.  First, if there are
complaints, please send the details to the Uprising staff.  No
complaint goes unread.  Having sat through several of these Uprising
meetings, I can attest that some complaints are acted on and some
aren't - usually for logistical reasons and never for malice of
forethought.  No autocrat in his or her right mind wants people to have
an unpleasant time at their event.  But without knowing what people
think about the event and the site, the Uprising staff won't know what
to fix.

As to the site itself, I must confess I don't like the current site.  I
would love to see a change in venue.  But please, do not think that the
folks in 1000 Eyes have blinders on toward other sites for Uprising.
The surveying of potential new or used sites does happen and not
infrequently.  Looking in from the outside, I believe it's possible to
think that 1000 Eyes is sitting on its proverbial hands resisting
change, but from where I sit inside the barony, I know that this is not
the case. (And for the record, I am not one of the people running the
event or one of its activities this year - so this post is not a case
of "enlightened self interest" nor self-advertising.  I do admit that
some of the statements in previous paragraph may be putting words in
the mouths of the Uprising event steward and staff, but I'm fairly sure
that they would concur).

As to the low population density/ dwindling volunteers/northern region
thread, I shot my wad on these subjects recently and will refrain from
repeating my self for the moment.  I only have time right now to beat
one dead horse, not two.  ;-)

ttfn
Therasia