[Artemisia] Re: A Bit of a Rant.

Julia Jackman-Brink julia.jackman-brink at umontana.edu
Mon Mar 28 10:44:57 CST 2005

John Gibson wrote:

> Sorry for the short answer, I think it was misinterpreted, so...

I also think you went a bit off track with MINE...I'm not knocking the
White Scarves, They are all great noble people with specific skills.
What I am trying to get across, especially to those who are new and may
not be aware, is there is a difference between DWS and Peerage. Someday
the SCA as we know it might choose to recognize a peerage in Rapier,
maybe they won't, but until then, the DWS doesn't carry a Patent of
Arms...and for the record, you all can quit sending me private mail, I'm
not going to debate this issue any further.

> Now, I understand the placement of the DWS meeting at Convocation was thrown
> under "Peer Meetings" as a convenience done in trying to quickly send an
> e-mail schedule out, but if you read the message as sent it listed Peer
> Groups and you can easily include Landed Baronages in that and say they
> mistyped a tab (which was my assumption).

I think what could have saved this whole conversation was a listing by
TIME of the meetings with no groupings. That is, "Here is the timeline
for what we want to acheive for this day". Works for major corporations
and there is rarely any controversy or misunderstandings.

And for the record, only SITTING Landed Baronages are above the Peers in
the Order of Precedence. They are often included when the Crown wants
input into the coversations at hand. When that happens is it
specifically noted. The Former Landed and Court Baronages are
technically placed below the Peerage and are rarely included. Most of
those tend to be doubled into the Peerage anyway.

> Fact is a Peer Group has nothing
> to do with a Patent of Arms, but is by definition a group of equals.   A
> "Peer Circle" in the SCA refers to a meeting of OL, OP, OC, as would a
> "Peerage Meeting".

You are correct in the definition, but the SCA has a different
recognition of the definition of "Peer". Both culturally as well as
socially. If you are talking in the SCA context, one needs to recongize
the difference and use it appropriately. Hence the confusion by many.

Juliana