[Artemisia] question about circlets god help me

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:43:43 CST 2005

That is a personal question.  I don't mean that in the "Your invading my
space bubble" way, but more in the "assimilation of culture" way.  When one
moves out of kingdom, one may ... but is not required to assume the regalia
of the new land.

For my example, in Atlantia, squires wear silver chains.  I had been a
squire for several years when I was stationed in Atlantia.  Honestly this
was the most difficult part for me to assimilate, because it felt ... WRONG.
  After about a year, however ... other squires began to remind me that I
had "forgotten" my chain again.  Bowing to peer (little p) pressure, I found
a lovely 97.4 fine sterling silver large link chain. It was heavy to wear, a
pain to maintain, and would have doubled as a weapon in a street fight, but
it got the rest of the red belts off my case.

In Artemisia, squires do not wear chains.  The huge honking behemoth now
resides in the fire safe with the rest of my mundane weaponry.

In Atlantia, the armigers wore circlets of less than 1/4 inch.  Given that I
loathe headgear, this was a quick answer to “What do I do for headgear”.
Given that I was two years there before I was offered the Award of Arms, by
that point in my military life I was pretty much accepting of the local
customs of my host country.  Mine was constructed of three strands of copper
twisted with the assistance of a 3/4 inch electric drill and then hammered
flat.

In Artemisia, the armigers do not wear circlets, so I converted mine to use
as a hairband ... until my daughter spirited it away a few years ago.

The point here is we, as folks, need to be socially aware and mindful.  Play
nice.  Assimilate as far as possible without surrender.  If your behavior
offends others, one has the choice to either modify the behavior, or prepare
to face the consequences for not modifying the behavior.  Either way … it is
a personal choice.

My two pence only

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

"It is a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word" ...
Thomas Jefferson

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com