[Artemisia] question about circlets god help me

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Mon Mar 28 17:47:25 CST 2005

Jeff Webster wrote:
> I would think that if a certain Kingdom allows something and the a person moves to another Kingdom, they must follow the rules of the new home and not dwell on the rules of the old.
> Seems like a "no-brainer" to me but then again.............I may be wrong.
>
>   I believe every Kingdom has different laws and rules, sumptuary or otherwise.
>  If someone is living in this Kingdom and following the regalia laws of another Kingdom then they need to straighten up. Possibly no one has told them or they are unaware. But at any rate, they need to be told, and the rules need to be followed.
>
>   Just my take on it.
>
> Ulric

Just a slight correction.

The Kingdom of Artemisia has Sumptuary Custom, not Sumptuary Law.

The Sumptuary Customs have, possibly, a stronger force amongst
the populace than actual Law, but they are not a part of Kingdom Law
by definition. They have never been read out in their entirety at a Kingdom
event, and I don't feel that they should be a part of Kingdom Law at
this time.

A few reigns ago (Basil II, for those keeping track), the Kingdom was polled
by Their Majesties on the subject of *gasp* circlets. The consensus of the
voting was almost exactly 50 - 50. Half of those who responded were in
favor,
half were not. So, with no overwhelming voice, Their Majesties announced
that they would not be changing custom at that time. I believe, from the
comments that I have heard since then, that the populace is still almost
evenly divided on this subject.

Shauna

PS I agree with Malkin and others about 'peer' (little p) pressure on
newcomers.
If all around you are rubbing blue mud into their belly buttons on the
full moon,
you will eventually also rub blue mud into your belly button on the full
moon. It may
seem strange at first, but after a while you will notice those who are
NOT rubbing
blue mud into their belly buttons and will offer to find them blue mud
so that they,
too, can participate in the local ritual(s). :-)