[Artemisia] question about circlets god help me

Redhawk sca_redhawk at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 29 10:24:50 CST 2005

+ + + yes those are crosses.. just asking a question on what is right what is not, what good what is is not...  always good to ask before one thinks the wrong thing.  thank you everyone for your input..
Red

HL Isabeau de Sevingy <badsquire at yahoo.com> wrote:
Well, good god, you didn't actually think that you could have a conversation on circlets and such without ME chiming in... did you? ;) (yeah, I was smiling when I wrote this, all of it)

For the record, on the comment on 'updating' our Laws, my response is...

GGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has already been pointed out that they are Customs, not Laws, so lets not bother with that right now. However, the point I am going to hammer on for a little while is this...

Why on earth would we have any need or desire to legislate such a thing??? In addition to having long-term concequences we haven't even considered, it's just more red-tape.

Really, if you received an award in another Kingdom that came with a goody, why wouldn't you continue to wear it when you moved? My goodness, are you suggesting that Bahadur William Kyle not wear his Legion of Courtesy regalia in Artemisia, when the Crown of Caid rightfully saw fit to bestow it on him? After all, our equivalent award doesn't have a spiffing doodad, so why should he be able to wear his? *belated sarcasm warning on that one*

Customs differ across the board, generally, it is generally our habit to adopt the ways of our new homes. Not always, like customs, circumstances differ greatly. There is no Law that states one cannot wear a circlet in Artemisia, NOR SHOULD THERE EVER BE. But not having a restrictive rule does not stop people from adhering to local custom, so we don't wear circlets. (this next bit is important) Altering written Custom, or god forbid putting it into Law, would be an unwarranted and inappropriate use of force on an already compliant populace.

There.

That being said, I readily enjoy seeing out-of-towners wearing their out-of-town regalia. Artemisia has been too insular for too long, IMO. Bringing in flavors from out of Kingdom adds to what makes Artemisians us, it doesn't detract. Who knows, with population growth cycles, maybe in another 20 years we'll look around and realize that more people wear circlets than don't, and that our Custom has evolved in such a way that our Custom is for Armigers and Grants to wear circlets, or not, doesn't really matter. What matters is this, changing things in writing would kill any chance for our Kingdom to grow in infinite variety.

So, vote one from Me, don't you dare legislate a damn thing! Don't try and fix what ain't broken! :D

HL Isabeau de Sevingy
Hip deep in it and school, too!
See y'all at Crown.

Redhawk wrote:
Ulric
Thanks. I really do feel, that some time when our Laws are being updated, that this should be included. I agree, this should be a no brainer. It appears to me, that one should follow the the Laws of the Kingdom they reside in. I know I would and feel others should as well.
Thank you dear KS for your input.
Redhawk

Jeff Webster wrote:
I would think that if a certain Kingdom allows something and the a person moves to another Kingdom, they must follow the rules of the new home and not dwell on the rules of the old.
Seems like a "no-brainer" to me but then again.............I may be wrong.

I believe every Kingdom has different laws and rules, sumptuary or otherwise.
If someone is living in this Kingdom and following the regalia laws of another Kingdom then they need to straighten up. Possibly no one has told them or they are unaware. But at any rate, they need to be told, and the rules need to be followed.

Just my take on it.

Ulric