[Artemisia] Announcement about Black Wing Company

Mike Bradley connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Sun May 1 18:08:01 CDT 2005

Unto Their Majesties, Their Royal Highnesses, the Baronage, Peers, and
populace of Artemisia, Greetings from Conchobhar mac Michil,
Captain-General of the Black Wing Company.

Over a decade ago in the Principality of Artemisia the Black Wing
Company was founded to promote, grow, and encourage rapier combat
within the realm.  Over the years the Company grew in numbers and
reputation, helping to make rapier part of the culture of the Kingdom
of Artemisia and serving as an example and model for rapier companies
throughout the Known World.  The Company succeeded admirably in the
goal that had been set before it.

In recent years other fighting groups and schools have come into
existence within the Kingdom of Artemisia; Terra Sylva, the Loch
Salaan School of Defense, and others.  During the same time the
Company has suffered through problems, but generally managed to stay
on the right track, if a bit unfocused.

At Coronation, I became the seventh Captain-General of Black Wing.  My
intention when accepting the position in the Company was to see if
Black Wing could be refocused, rebuilt, and returned to the glory and
pride of the past.  However, after much consideration and evaluation,
I made the difficult decision that the continued existence of the
Black Wing Company was not in the best interest of Artemisia, the
rapier community, or the members of the Company.

The Company of the Black Wing was a wonderful part of Artemisia's
past, but much as a tree needs to have branches pruned so that others
may grow and the tree may flourish, so to does the Company need to be
removed so that the rapier community of Artemisia can better grow and
flourish.

Therefore, it is my decision, which has been approved by the Crown,
that the Black Wing Company will be decommissioned Saturday at
Uprising in the Barony of One Thousand Eyes.  There will be a ceremony
to release all of the members of the Company and retire the colors,
the details of which are being worked on.  It is my hope that all
members of the Company, past and present, as well as everyone that has
been friends of the Company over the years be present to see the
Company off with honor and glory.

In service to the Crown and Kingdom of Artemisia,
I remain,
Conchobhar mac Michil, Captain-General of the Black Wing Company