[Artemisia] Fw: History of the Origins of Equestrian Activities in the...

Willa - Rose yasmeena at juno.com
Mon May 16 17:52:29 CDT 2005

>From another list I'm on... enjoy.
Yasmeena
(((*)))

For anyone interested, I recently saw a selection on some of the history
of early equestrian activities in the SCA. Unfortunately there wasn't any
mention of the West Kingdom early years. So here is my input to help fill
in that missing information.

The history of Equestrian activities in the SCA , begins with the first
use of horses at Tournaments. As mentioned in other discussions when
Hirsch von Henford first began discussing the SCA's history with some of
us that were around at the beginning, I was the first person to ride in
the SCA.That was when I first rode a horse in my (then) new mail hauberk
( which I now find should more corectly be called a byrnie or broign ,
since a hauberk was originally just a mail hood or coif, not a full
length shirt or tunic of mail)  and wore a spangen helm and sword, and
carried a shield and lance. It was at the fourth SCA Tournament, on March
25, 1967 in AS I. The first issue of Tournaments Illuminated has a
drawing of me riding in this armour , as the front cover artwork. This
illustration was taken from a photo of me , which I have a copy of, and
was drawn by Diana Listmaker.

The next event was more specificly a Foot combat combined with
Equestrian, Tournament, which was held on April 27,1969, AS III . A
quintain was available, and we rode at it till it finally failed and fell
apart (due to insufficient engineering for the forces applied by the
various contestants).

The next event with Equestrian activities, was at the first overnight
Tournament, held on May 17 and 18, 1969, AS IV, in Oakdale. At this
event, Sir robert of Dunharrow and I fought on horseback with mace and
shield (on Saturday the 17th).

On January 5, 1974, AS VIII, I created the first SCA Office of Equestrian
Arts, during my final court, at the end of my sixth  Reign  as King of
the West.  I appointed Mistress Suzanne of Ravenhill,OL., as the first
Kingdom Minister of Equestrian Arts in the West ( as well as The Known
World).

The next Western Equestrian Event was on July 19 and 20, 1975, AS X, and
was a full Equestrian Tournament, running for two days. Competitions
included Costume for Horse and Rider, Tilting at Rings, Tilting at the
Quintain, Behead the Enemy, and several other competitions which may have
included one or more of the following typical events of that time period:
Goblet Race, Flag Race , Squire Rescue Race, Fair Damsel Rescue Race and
Obstacle Course.

On September 27, 1975, AS X, Mistress Suzanne of Ravenhill retired from
the position of West Kingdom minister of Equestrian arts, and I was
appointed to the office, as her successor, which I held for many years
afterward, both singlely as well as jointly with Mistress Cliveden de
Cheiux.

On May 1 and 2, 1976, AS XI, several members of the Principality of Caid
drove up to the West Kingdom Coronation Tournament bringing their horses
with them. These included Jeanett La Rue Cheval, Bevin Fraser of Sterling
and Sir Morven of Carrick. They as well as other Caidians, participated
in the Equestrian Competitions held there that day, which autocratted by
me.

In subsequent years, Caid became a Kingdom and developed it's own
Equestrian group which grew and initiated their own events and
activities. This was perhaps the second major area of Equestrian
development in the SCA.

I can't give much comment about other out of the West Kingdom Equestrian
developments, other than to say I saw some horses at Pennsic War in 1977,
AS XII.

Henrik of Havn
Mu'allemah Yasmeena, OL, OP, Cd'O, etc.
"The Equestrian Mistress"
Minister of the Royal Stables of Artemisia
Mounted Companion of the Lance of St. Anne
http://lanceofstanne.homestead.com/yasmeena.html