[Artemisia] Fw: Stefan's Florilegium files for November

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Nov 7 06:13:49 CST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan li Rous" <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for the month of November detailing
the new files in the Florilegium this month.

This message should be going to all kingdom mailing lists. If you are on
another list, so you have seen this, but you don't see it on your  kingdom
list, please let me know so I can work on finding and fixing
any problems.

I also create a version of this article each month for websites, which
includes links for each file. If you run a website and would  like to be
added to my monthly list to get a copy of the web version of this article,
please contact me.

If you have written an article that you, or your friends, think would  be a
good addition to the Florilegium, please send a copy to me. The  author
keeps the copyright to any material I use and its a good way
to help out others all around the Known World.  If you have an idea for an
article you would like to see, please email me with the  suggestion and I
will add it to my "Article Ideas list" which  hopefully will get added to
the site soon.

Stefan
-------

A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past sixteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been  collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail  lists and articles
submitted to me by their authors. In order to make  this information
available to others, I have placed this information  in a series of files I
call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an  article that
would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send  it to me for
possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for  more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping  me
maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,  editing and
web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

For those who would like to help support the Florilegium project in  another
way, I have added a PayPal donation button on the top page of  the site. Any
donations, while not tax deductible, do help pay the
overhead costs of keeping the site running.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
    glovs-mittns-lnks    Links to info on medieval gloves and mittens
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the ANIMALS section:
    falcons-hwks-lnks    Links to info on medieval hunting with hawks
                            and falcons by Dame Aoife Finn.
In the CHIVALRY section:
    2Squire-r-Not-art    “To Squire or Not to Squire? That is the
                            question???” by Viscount Sterling, KSCA
In the COMBAT section:
    p-tourn-styls-lnks   Links to information on medieval tournament
                            styles by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the CRAFTS section:
    hand-crafts-lnks     Links to info on medieval “Little” arts for
                            idle hands by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
    fd-Portugal-msg      Food of medieval Portugal. References.
In the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
    Enseignements-art    A translation of a 14th C. German manuscript
                            on preparing meats by Daniel Myers (Doc).
In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
    sauerkraut-msg       Period sauerkraut and pickled cabbage.
In the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section:
    Dueling-SCA-art      “Dueling, Rules of the Road” by Viscount
Sterling, KSCA

Here is one of the updated files.
    knighthood-msg       Knighthood in SCA and period.

This is the month of November. In medieval times, the last of the
fall harvest was being gathered in and folks were celebrating various
harvest and Thanksgiving festivals. Here are a few files connected
with this season:
    butchering-msg       Overview of butchering livestock and game.
    cider-msg            Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
    fruit-pies-msg       Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.
    ham-msg              Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
    Ital-Stuffing-art    "Stuffing Recipes from 16th Century Italian
                            Cookbooks" by Lady Helewyse de Birkestad.
    maize-msg            Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the
                            Americas and its introduction to Europe.
    nuts-msg             Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
    perry-msg            A cider made with pear juice.
    puddings-msg         Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
    turkeys-msg          Use of turkeys in Renaissance Europe.
---
Copyright 2005, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted  if the
contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the  publication.
Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com